Fence and sewer?

There is a sewer drain on the property line me and my neighbor share. I want to get a fence build but I don't know I should go about it with that sewer drain. 4x4 concrete top one. I called 811 in my area and they said there's no drain system in my yard but that sewer does have a deep hole. What would you do? Fence inside/outside of it?

I think what they are telling you is that the sewer line is deep and below your fence line. When you dig for fence posts, if the post hole digger don't hit anything, your are good to go. 

Put a removable panel over the part with the sewer. 

We wanted to install a fence in an area where we would, at times, need to access. So, when we built the fence, we made a few 6' fence panels so they were removable. This gave us a six foot access to the property (the distance from fence post to fence post.) Problem solved.

go to your locl utility and get the plan do not pay any attention to what you are told over the phone 

The sewer drain is on the road.  Your property stops at the corner pin.  The rest of "your property is actually road easement" in case one day they decide to put in a wider road and/or sidewalk .  That is city land. You cannot fence on city land.  That could be the first 8 feet from the pavement. to find your property stake & metal pin.  That is where the fence ends.  Like that in every village.

the utility that owns the drain MUST have access to it.  If you fence it so that the drain is accessible only by going over your property, you, in essence, grant them a perpetual right of way over your property [including through any gate whether locked or not] to access the drain.  for further details, you need to consult an experienced property rights attorney in your area [we have no idea where you are and the law differs by state/province].

• Edwena

Whose sewer line?  Easement?  Survey pins at the corners?  They have a say in the location of the fence.  First, physically locate the sewer line at several locations along the length of the proposed fence.  Run a string end to end and see how straight and deep the sewer line is. Run a string between the survey pins that locate the property line. Decide whose side of the property line the sewer and fence is to be located. Is there an easement for the sewer line that prohibits you putting a fence near it? Like how is it going to be repaired if there is a fence sitting on top of it. So, that is something that you, your neighbor will want to work out.  Like you put the fence real close to the sewer line on your side.  Then there is a sewer problem, so the plumber has to come into his yard to repair the sewer, and in the process digs up a lot of his yard and your fence.  He is not going to be happy if that is not his sewer line and problem. Or he may decide that he wants the extra yard by you putting the fence on your property 5 feet on your side of the sewer line.  Or you offer to pay for the fence if you can locate it on his property 5 feet away from the sewer line.  The first thing you need to do is accumulate the facts and see what possibilities there are.

If you are paying for the fence, put it inside your property line.

I recommend you start by having someone properly identify what you mistakenly believe is a sewer.

If the fence will be on the property line then your neighbor must approve the building of a fence. They may pay half of the cost but may not. You need to find out how deep the drain line is before you proceed.