car insurance or breakdown ?

if my car isnt insured but i have breakdown cover, will the police still stop me ?

27 Answers

Relevance
  • garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

police stop illegal cars , not yours..

• 1 month ago

It depends on what country you're living in, which you haven't mentioned.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you have a breakdown and the Police stop to assist you, they will very likely request you show them your proof of registration and Insurance.  

If you do not have insurance, they may give you a warning if they feel sorry for you.   Or they could write you a ticket.  If your insurance is lapsed long enough they may be required to tow your car and impound it.  If that happens you will NOT get the car back until you can provide insurance. 

So in short it is not a smart move to drive without insurance.  Not just for what the police could do, but if you get into an accident YOU then become responsible and again in some cases may be criminally liable.  Meaning you could be arrested.

One ticket for lack of insurance could pay for your insurance for the entire year.

• 1 month ago

Why will the police stop you if they don't know you don't have insurance?  If you do something else illegal, they might stop you then you're getting a ticket, at least.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • zipper
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

YES!  Your uninsured, brake down insurance mmeans nothing to the police or courts FOOL!

• 1 month ago

Yes,police will stop you.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

yes., Police will stop you without auto insurance.

• car253
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

yes., Police will stop you without auto insurance.

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Absolutely right Harry. 

Trouble is the average fine is about £200 v average insurance £700, then they charge about £100 a day storage for impounded cars , so they never collect their £500 shed abd so pay nothing.The fine is paid at 50p a week and even then they stop after a couple of months and no one chases it up.   

• May
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Of course they will stop you.  To be lawful, Liability insurance is what you need, not breakdown insurance.   Besides, "breakdown insurance" is a rip off and pretty much worthless.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.