Do you support Charlie Hebdo cartoons and freedom of expression ?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Under Canadian law, no right or freedom is absolute.  All are subject to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free & democratic society.  I've never seen the depiction that seems to have caused such offense, but suspect it/they were unnecessary, probably tasteless, & deliberately intended to inflame.  Therefore, in the utilitarian interest, they should be prohibited as an act of public safety.       

• Shark
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

they are living in a different century

• 4 weeks ago

I support anyone's freedom of expression more than I support a person's right to kill another person because of a cartoon. 

• bill
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Nobody should die because they showed someone a cartoon....period. There should be no debate or 'buts'.

If you accept it then what's next?

If you accidentally serve pork at a party with muslims there should you die then too?

If you drink alcohol which is forbidden in Islam should you die then too?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

There is a price to pay for freedom, and that is that you are not granted a right to not be offended. As long as people are free to mock religions, you know you have freedom.

When those free expressions are curtailed, it is the beginning of fascism.

So yes, I support the right of free expression. If "allah" has an issue with it, then *HE* should be the one intervening in person. He is supposed to be all-mighty, isn't he?

• 4 weeks ago

Of course, freedom for all in terms of expression that does no direct violence to any person, and a cartoon cannot do any such violence.

Well, someone may roll up a magazine and spank you with it, but for Fat Donnie, that's worth extra.

• 4 weeks ago

Absolutely 100%. Freedom of Expression is not negotiable. Just how ridiculous is it for foreigners to tell native citizens what they may do in their own countries.

• 4 weeks ago

Personally I think the cartoons are childish and in poor taste, but I wholeheartedly support the right of other people to use their freedom of speech 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No, despite being a French citizen I find them deplorable.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.