Who is your favorite author? Which of their books would you recommend to read?

• Spike
    Favorite Answer

The Hunt For Red October by Tom Clancy

Patriot Games by Tom Clancy

The Cardinal of the Kremlin by Tom Clancy

Clear And Present Danger by Tom Clancy

The Sum Of All Fears by Tom Clancy

Debt Of Honor by Tom Clancy

Executive Orders by Tom Clancy

The Bear And The Dragon by Tom Clancy

Against All Enemies by Tom Clancy with Peter Telep

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John Le Carré

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carré

Smiley's People by John Le Carré

The Secret Pilgrim by John Le Carré

A Most Wanted Man by John Le Carré

A Legacy of Spies by John Le Carré

Short Stories But True by Sabino Rosa

is wonderful and you can find it even likes e-book

Jane austen persuasion is about first mistakes don't mean wasting ur life sense and sensibility is about things aren't always as they seem 

Terry Pratchett - Going Postal.

r l stine 

goosebumps

creapy creatures book

I have more than one. But as far as short stories are concerned, the one that I consider a masterpiece of that genre is Ernest Hemingway’s “The short happy life of Francis Macomber”. Unfortunately it’s not the kind of thing they’re going to assign in public schools today because of Hemingway’s honest assessments of the female gender in this particular story. But it’s an incredible piece of writing and very believable. The plot development and tension is second to none. I went to an all male private school many decades ago so my English teachers were allowed to assign things like that, fortunately. 

I don't have a single favorite author, but rather many.

For a single work Goethe's Faust

for many works Harry Turtledove

• Zac Z

One of my "comfort authors" is Stephen King.

There are always a good number of King books I haven't read yet (not difficult given his prolificacy) and once in a while I'll treat myself to another King book. I say comfort author because he's one of those writers whose books I'm bound to like. I've rarely read anything I didn't like so I know it'll be good.

That's why I treat the books like treats and only consume them modestly as to not run out of them, if that makes sense.

Which of his books I'd recommend depends a little on the potential reader. Many people think King only writes gory horror. That is not so.

In fact, some of his best works aren't horror at all (not that I have a problem with horror, I love King's horror novels!, but I know not everybody does).

Two pieces that should have a brought appeal are the novella "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption", found in his collection of novellas "Different Seasons"- it is the basis for the congenial adaption "The Shawshank Redemption". The other one is the novel "The Green Mile" which also was turned into a film but even though the adaptation is very good the book is better if only because it is much more detailed and nuanced.

These two stories aren't horror so even non-horror readers should like them.

Since King is one of my favorite authors, I could provide you with a long list of books that I find great (that's exactly why he's one of my favorites) but I'll keep it short and make only a few recommendations.

Rather than the usual suspects, I'll mention "Thinner" and "The Long Walk" - these were first published under his Richard Bachman pseudonym; the first is a horror novel about a man who is being cursed by a gypsy woman to get ever thinner (hence the title), the second is a novel set in a dystopian near-future featuring a Battle Royale-style contest (the eponymous Long Walk). I love that second one. I don't often see it in King recommendations (maybe because it's a very early one) but I love the concept and the execution. It's an early example how King can make a mundane thing, walking, into a compelling concept for a novel.

"Misery" is simply awesome.

"Dolores Claiborne" is another novel that often flies under the radar. Not horror but rather an account of a dysfunctional family and how, and particularly why, the woman made an end to it by killing her husband. This sounds like a major spoiler but we learn about this is in the first pages. The novel is another example of King's skills as a writer. The book effectively is a giant monologue, the eponymous Dolores Claiborne is telling the story of how and why she murdered her husband in one sitting to officers during an interrogation. There are no chapters in the book. This is a devilish feature because due to the organic style of narration (like real people Dolores is sometimes getting sidetracked, jumps around in her story) there aren't good points to put the book down (as one would often do at the end of a chapter) and you just want to keep reading and reading! I wouldn't normally be enthusiastic about a novel about a family drama but King made turned it into a story that I had difficulties putting down.

Dostoyevsky, "Crime and Punishment"