Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 4 weeks ago

Does a mental illness qualify as a personality trait?

• Kyle J

No mental illness can qualify as a personality traits but there are specific symptoms that can be attributed to personality traits and it depends on what trait are you referring to. An example would be neuroticism which is one of the Big Five personality traits. Too much neuroticism and you will get symptoms of anxiety. 

A single personality trait is the foundation for almost all mental illness: study A range of various mental illnesses, such as depression, substance abuse, and psychosis, are linked to the same personality trait, research suggests.

https://sciencenorway.no/forskningno-mens-health-n...

• amy

Yes and no. Majority mental disorder it doesnt. Though there are personality mnetal disorder so a number of their traits are direct symptoms of the mental disorder. Many people diagnosed with personality disorders usually dont get informed because it can do more harm and obstruct working effectively on it. It can be a hard blow to find out basically the person you think you are is just a mental illness symptom. Most mental disorders are not personality disorders. Bpd is a common personality disorder, boreline personality disorder. Even when I was diagnosed with c-ptsd which is not a.personality disorder when professionals didnt want to inform me because it does include symptoms bpd but not enough to be diagnosed with bpd. This meant sorten traits I had known as me and identified as me a person and individual was just a mental illness symptom but I had been reseaching my situation for a long time to find correct treatment to recover I had long been confronted with that and came to terms with that before they official informed.

• donnie

It could influence your personality directly or indirectly

I don’t know if I would call it a trait 

• Dv8s

No, mental illness is a condition that one must live with, and a personality trait is something one chooses to have.