I am cooking vegetables(peas) should I cover the lid or not, Also tell why?

Why is important so that I can apply to general foods.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • bill
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

No.It can boil over if you leave it.

• 3 weeks ago

Either way is fine. 

• 3 weeks ago

It does not make a difference to most vegetables if the pot is covered or not. Covering the pot helps trap heat to get water boiling with less energy. It also helps prevent steam escaping, so it condenses back into the pot. 

Unless you're barely using enough water, most of the time you will not boil veges so long that the pot goes dry. Thus, you can leave it uncovered if you want. Covering it might help the water return to a boil slightly faster after adding the vege. 

If you're cooking some pasta or other things with starches (potatoes), there's a chance that covering the pot won't let the starch bubbles pop. This might cause the pot to boil over. So, in those instances that's really when you want to uncover the pot. Otherwise, boil away and do what you prefer. Not gonna hurt if you "forget" either way. 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

If you peas are cooking in water-no need to, not enough water will boil out to make a difference. 

If making them as part of a sauce, no need to-you Want the water to boil out and thicken the sauce. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

If you cover the lid with something that might catch fire you could have

problems. Leave the lid alone as it does not need to have a cover.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Cover the lid? What with? Why?

No you shouldn't - it's pointless and could even be dangerous.

• polly
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

After the water boils with the peas inside with the lid off, you're supposed to put the lid on, reduce the heat & simmer until tender for 3-4minutes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.