Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Is it rude or cold or unfriendly for a hairdresser not to say “how are you?” After you sincerely ask them?

Why?

Why not?

If they just say

“Ok, we are doing a cut & color?”

Surely “fine thanks” is not too difficult.

No one expects a deep and meaningful conversation..

It is unusual for a hairdresser not to answer but just because she didn't doesn't mean she's rude. She probably had a million things on her mind. Maybe her dog died...who knows? Maybe she thought you wanted a deep and meaningful (update 2) and she wasn't in the mood for one...who the heck knows? 

No it isn't cold or rude. You asked and she answered. I see no unfriendliness there. 

• L

It's the RIGHT thing to say.....they're just trying to be kind.

• mom

she may not of wanted to talk about her personal health or her business

Yes, it would be nice if they replied. But they're BUSY. They're already concentrating on your hair and what's going to be done to it.

Please try to stop obsessing about other people's responses to your remarks. Besides, I don't like your use of the word "sincerely". It sounds almost as if you  have an unhealthy interest in them. Presumably she's already said "Hi" - let it go at that.

There is no obligation for anyone to ask 'how are you?' and ultimately, this comes down to personal communication style.  Remember, how you communicate is not going to be the same for someone else.

i think its rude

No.  They may not be interested in how you are.  It is rude to demand they be interested to know.

• Jerry

Professional hair dressers have told me that in their job it's important for them to maintain control of the conversation, to be able to do things like interrupt the client and say "Let's talk about your hair" and "Sorry, I'm concentrating on getting your hair right and can't really listen."

The priority is to do a good job with your hair. So long as your hairdresser meets that goal, be happy with him/her. 

• Cogito

No - why would they want to know how you are?

And after you 'sincerely ask them' what?

Asking how people are and expecting a 'fine thanks' or whatever seems to be a 'thing' in some parts of the USA but it's not a generally expected comment elsewhere.  In the UK if someone like a waiter or shop assistant asks me that, it feels really awkward.  I always feel like saying 'It's none of your business!' although I don't.  Just a friendly 'Hello' or 'Good morning' is fine.