What is the expression they threw the kitchen sink?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It means going to an extreme. The idea is the person included everything possible, even the kitchen sink, although there was no need to include it.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Closely related to, "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water." 

That is, if you bathe your baby in the kitchen sink!

• ron h
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A kitchen sink is firmly attached to the wall and cabinets in the room.  It's usually the last thing someone would take or give away.  So if the kitchen sink was thrown in, there's NOTHING left to give. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It can be either way everything exempt or including the kitchen sink 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

There's no such expression as "threw the kitchen sink."

It's "everything but the kitchen sink" and means an excess of things:   When Martha packs for a vacation, she includes everything but the kitchen sink.

• 1 month ago

Not heard that Donnie boy. I have heard people say and, I might have said it myself, HAVE YOU PACKED EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE KITCHEN SINK? Or! I'VE PACKED EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE KITCHEN SINK.

PS.

I can see the scenario where the wife kicks out the hubby and he tells his friends, SHE THREW EVERYTHING AT ME EXCEPT THE KITCHEN SINK. Lol.

• 1 month ago

well, it should be that "they threw in everything BUT the kitchen sink".  they would have thrown that in as well, presumably, but it was too well attached to the counter.  The idea is that they tried everything that they could possibly actually do.  They would have also thrown in the kitchen sink if they could have.

So, it becomes a hyperbole of sorts, to mean doing way more than necessary.  everything but the kitchen sink=everything you could possibly think of that was possible to actually do.

• 1 month ago

Its like in football when teams try and take us on at their own game by attacking us trying to find an equaliser..

" having lost their 1-0 lead,  Liverpool went onto equalise before half time before scoring a 2nd in the 81st minute after which it was a nervy finish for the reds as City looked to find a late equaliser pushing everyone forward and throwing everything at the Liverpool defense including the kitchen sink "

lol

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There are a few variants, the expression means somebody overdid something.

She packed enough for the holiday, everything including the kitchen sink.

She packed enough for the holiday, everything except the kitchen sink.

The project ran over budget - they threw everything at it including the kitchen sink.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.