Books about misfits, outcasts, loners?

Books about misfits, outcasts, loners?

Are there any good books about characters who don’t fit in or self help books for people like that?

People are amazing, aren’t they?

One stereotype of bookworms is that they’re withdrawn, socially inept people. This is an unfair generalization. At the same time, though, books have long been the refuge of people who don’t mind solitude, who can grasp ideas better from text than from speech, and who appreciate the articulacy of a well-constructed paragraph over the standard stammerings of conversation.

Here are some book suggestions for and about loners, misfits, outcasts, over-analyzers, anxiety-ridden folks, introverts, psychopaths, and just the dismally uncool. (This isn’t to suggest that these are synonymous, but surely there’s a spectrum across at least some of these groups.) There are choices here for readers who want to feel sympathy, fear, sadness, wonder, or enlightenment.

The Outsiders...........

All the light we cannot see best misfit book I have ever read or one of them. It is about a boy who is forced into hitllers youth during ww2 and he sees all the "misfits" not being valued for who they are. The other half of the story follows a blind girl try to survive the ear without her father it is a touching story. Another eragon is about dragon fantasy a farm boy that discovers the power of dragons and learns to be a warrior. 

Osamu Dazai, Jim Thompson and Charles Bukowski wrote some pretty good fiction about people who did not fit in. 

Source(s): "Why does everybody have to do something, I don't want to do anything"=Barfly "Mine has been a life of much shame. I can’t even guess what it must be to live the life of a human being.”=Dazai

(Asking repeatedly moves you near troll territory. Just so you know.)

Many, many YA books and plenty of books for adult readers explore the theme of being an outcast, a loner, a person who doesn't fit into whatever society they're a part of.

In no particular order, I'm happy to recommend:

Oryx and Crake

Any of Robin Hobb's trilogies, but for the misfit aspect, especially the Soldier's Son and the Liveship Trader trilogies (Most highly recommended. I borrowed them, then bought my own copies.)

Dumplin'

Butter

You don't need to keep asking the same question multiple times. 

• Zac Z

There's a fantasy series that blew my mind when I read it as a teenager, the Time Master series by British author Louise Cooper.

It's a great series if you like fantasy but its protagonist very much fits your bill. Funnily enough, the second book of the trilogy is even titled "The Outcast"!  😉

So give this one a try.

I get the vibe that you feel distressed by the notion that you don't fit in. I don't know your circumstances, of course, but that's not that unusual, especially among teenagers, I think.

Try not to be pulled down, turn this perceived negative into a positive thing. It can be liberating to be seen as a misfit because then people don't even expect you to follow all the norms. When I was younger, I gained the reputation of being a little eccentric, I guess, but I didn't mind. I actually enjoyed being able to do all sorts of things and have people say "Zac's just being Zac*" without being bound to some social norms.

The world is full of diverse characters so eventually you'll find folks with whom you're on the same wavelength.

I'm not saying you should be anti-social but don't force it. Be who you are with confidence - that alone, confidence, will draw people to you. Because there are many folks who will look at you and wish they could act as freely as you because they find themselves constricted by social norms, always having to be careful if their ideas, wishes and desires are compatible with their peers, etc.

Sorry, didn't want to get preachy!

So, check out the Time Master trilogy by Louise Cooper and try to embrace yourself and the rest will follow (hopefully).

* only, my real name is not Zac!   😜

It's not a self-help list, but if you want to empathize:

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes - is a very touching story of a mentally disabled man. 

The Lonely Londoners by Sam Selvon - novel of immigrant life in London in the 1950s.

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf - more about complex family tensions and conflict between men and women and social awkwardness.

The Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger.