What do you think about the Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict?

I just read Armenia is conscripting young men. I thank God my oldest son who is in his 20s was born in a country already free of conscription. I respect and support those who enlist, but I don't support a mandatory military service, not everyone wants to die in a war. My son has a future, those kids in Armenia has none. Sad. 

Favorite Answer

In Australia we had conscription in WW2, but only to serve in Australia, they were called the Militia, trouble was our government included New Guinea as part of Australia and sent the poorly trained 18 and 19 year olds to fight the japs until our soldiers returned from Africa, they did Australia proud and held back the Japs until the regular soldiers arrived and pushed the japs back.

Conscription was brought back in in 1965 when the US asked Australia for troops to fight in Vietnam, i was one of the 20 yr olds to be called up in the first ballot, i didn't know where Vietnam was and i served there in 1966-67 after Vietnam Australia vowed they would never introduce conscription again. 

• garry

what about it , who cares anyway .they can work out there problems , we dont need any more ..

Armenia is supported by Russia and Azerbaijan is supported, financed and equipped by Turkey. That's all I know, but each country has to defend itself otherwise they will be extinguished.

Yes. Completely absurd. I'm 21, and I would rather be a traitor than serve in a war. 

Men are foolish. We strive for nothing more than to prove our way is the correct way.

That is the mindset.

The two sides are essentially cousins, but neither will admit that the other should be acknowledged. 

Canada here. I think that's sad, yes. Canada did not implement conscription, not even during First or Second World Wars. I agree only those who want to serve should be sent to the frontline.