Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 4 weeks ago

Should I marry him!? ?

I dont know what to do! Been with fiance for 8 years. Have a wonderful child and house together. He broke my trust a year ago by hiding a gambling addiction, I only found out because I forced it out of him as he seemed so down. I decided to stay with him. Me and his family dont get along and haven't spoken since they fell out with me over a year ago. He makes me happy for the most part but isnt an open person. 

• Jerry

An engagement where there is so little sharing of financial information that a gambling addiction can be kept hidden is an engagement in name only. A REAL engagement consists of the hard work of planning and preparing for marriage. I suspect this gentleman has little intention of marrying you, that if he does marry you the marriage will be unhappy. 

It's a bad idea to marry someone who isn't totally dedicated to making the marriage work, to being a good spouse. 

• T J

Has he asked you to get married, or is this something you are dreaming about? After 8 years, I do not think there will be a marriage in your future with him. Its also not a good sign that you and his family do not get along.

Hi Barry we were so young only 17 when we started seeing each other only now are we in a financial position to get married. He proposed. But maybe I did hint a little to much. My concerns are him not being open about anything and the fact I dislike his family. Thanks 

• Barry

You have to have a reason to marry. It has to be said that about 50% of marriages end in divorce. What puzzles me is why are you considering it after eight years? 

Also has he asked to marry you? Or are you wishing to trap him in some way? Marriage is just a piece of paper. Unless both parties genuinely desire marriage it's best left alone.