45x73 explain what is length what is what is across?

I’ve just got my own flat and I feel stupid asking this but when buying curtains it’s always said something like 45x73 my question is how do you know what’s what? Is there an unknowing rule that the first number for example here 45 would be length and the second of 73 would be across ? 

What’s does the first and second number stand at when looking to buy things ? 

Thanks 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 5
    2 weeks ago

45 is normally across and 73 is up & down.

• 4 weeks ago

Since one number is larger than the other, this represents a rectangle. Imagine a rectangle hanging over your window. The smaller number is the horizontal while the larger number is the vertical. This is because most windows are taller than their width unless you live in a weird building. 

• 4 weeks ago

Windows are measured as such:

Width is left to right

Length is top to bottom

45" wide by 73" length

• garry
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

what a dumb question , it means 45 by 73 , can we get any clearer ..how do you make a tin of bake beans , one tin of baked beans with a tin of water you bimbo .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • drip
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The Graphics' industry standard is width by height (width x height).

Not just for curtains, but for anything being measured 

• 4 weeks ago

Curtains and blinds always start with the width followed by the length Meaning from rod to floor.

• 4 weeks ago

Its the other way around. Width or across and then length.

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Be careful when measuring curtains because they are not straight and actually depend upon the style of curtain rod. For example a drapery rod turns and ends at the wall so that no light can escape from the end.   And the exact location of the attachment of the rod to the wall, and those specific measurements.  There is also the overlay where two draperies overlay at the  closure.   And there are pleats and the number required, etc.  And lined.  All of which that if you want really nice curtains, they have to be custom made to a particular window.

• 4 weeks ago

The first number is the width, it is normal to give width x drop for curtains. 

• Barry
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

With curtains you measure the window. The 'drop' first from the rail or pole to the bottom of the window frame. Then measure across the window. This measurement will then need multiplying to take account of the 'gathering' (folds). x2  will give an average gather. But you can increase this to x2.5  if you wish. So if you are buying ready made curtains you will just have to choose a size nearest to your measurements including the gather calculation. Bear in mind it's the drop that is the most important.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.