Contract hours at work?

Everyone from my work place has just been called back to work after being on furlough. I am a student in my final year of university and my contract hours at 14 hours a week but this week I’m on for 19 hours which I’m finding hard as I have university work to do. 

There’s some girls who work at my work place who are contracted to 7 hours a week that only come into work everyother week so I am being stuck with longer hours as they’re not doing there contract everyweek, as a result they’re booking up holiday which they aren't entitled too as they didn’t work meaning I have to work longer while they get paid- I thought after the pandemic peiple had to work there contracted hours everyweek? Someone help what can I do

I’ve asked my boss for less hours but she says she don’t have enough staff to give me less

This week I’m working long hours I’ve asked for one day off because I have an exam on Monday but she won’t allow me to have it off as there’s no one to cover 

Your contracted hours mean the minimum amount they promise you, they don't mean you can say no to more. You will have to ask for less but don't go saying your contract says you don't have to because it doesn't.

• Maxi

Then you need to speak to your boss and explain that you are only capable of working your contracted 14hours per week and no more, however all contracted hours mean is you are legally entitled to 14 hours and they are legally obligated to pay 14 hours regardless of if you work 14 hours or less...... it is likely the boss will advertise for new staff and let you go as employers want people who are willing to work additional hours as and when required but if you can't/won't work another 5 hours a week then he will find someone who can

• Tavy

Why not tell your boss you can only do shorter hours.

There

Not so difficult is it?

As your boss for fewer hours. Was that really so hard to figure out?