Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

I don't want to marry someone.  I don't want to get married with someone.  Are both correct? ?

• RP
    Favorite Answer

The first is fine, but the second is questionable, at best. There is no need for "with someone" because you cannot get married alone and, as a result, those two words are unnecessary. Also, we get married to someone, not with, even though, literally, with seems to make sense.

usually, one would say "I don't want to get married" or " I don't want to marry anyone."

More usual would be I don't want to marry anyone. 'Someone' suggests you have a specific person you do not wish to wed; that may of course, be the case.  I don't want to get married with someone, sounds like you don't want a double wedding.

• Katy M

You don't want to marry someone.  And you don't want to get married.  Get married with someone is clunky and unnecessary.  To someone sounds slightly better, but still unnecessary.