Stacking shelves - worst job ever ?

I’ve had my 3rd shift now and I absolutely hate it at a supermarket ,  i did not expect this much work , I stack shelves,  I am tiny and Suppsed to pick about 12 cans of beans up from the top shelf On a stool which is so scary, I attempted it but I don’t do it so I move on , is this bad , i told the manager they are too heavy and she said well you are expected to do it but I physically can’t do it , I thought you was supposed to get the products from the warehouse not at the top of shelves when it’s so heavy , it’s just stressful also I wasn’t trained just watched someone for 5 mins and then they told to start and I had no one with me at all on my first shift . It’s not getting any better and I don’t even understand anything , I really want to leave but it’s just embarrassing to do that aswell. Any advice

Favorite Answer

If you aren't physically capable of doing the job, then you will get fired and replaced with someone who is able to do the job.  You're choices right now are to go to work and do the job that's expected of you or admit you can't do the job and quit.  If it's that bad then maybe just don't show up, nothing much they can do if you've only been there a few days leave the job off your resume'.  Getting fired will be more embarrassing than just walking off the job.

12 cans of beans is only about 6 kilos. 

You're bringing it down, not lifting it up!That really isn't "heavy". You're being pretty pathetic about it. Guidelines are that one person can reasonably handle 15kg

• L

You should not have applied for a 'physical' job.  When being interviewed, most employers (especially for this type of a job) ask how much weight you can lift.....then they know if you can do the job or not.  Start looking for a different job.

If you can't physically do it, they need to either assign you to different work, or get someone taller or not afraid to do the work to do it. That is a state law, and if you get hurt, you're supposed to be allowed to order a back brace from a doctor or get one at the store or at the local pharmacy or one the store has on hand. In my twenties, about 15 years ago, I did the same thing you did for our bakery department for a large department and supermarket chain with a spark. Anyways, one day I fell off the ladder and got hurt, and a lot of people there liked my siblings better and deliberty did not tell me my legal rights as an employee under state laws and I found out later they were taking my inheritance as well. 

Source(s): Life experiences, look up state laws for insurance, PPE for employees, and what grocery/department stores and your managers or supervisors or owners or whomever is in charge of you at work is required to do by law.

Modern supermarkets often keep stock on the top of shelving units to save time . It is fairly hard work and not ldeal for some people . There is not much training for shelf filling and is quite boring , I did it for a year and then jumped at the chance to move to the fruit and veg department where at the age of 19 became the department manager . Try asking the manager if there is another job going within the store.

On the off chance that you aren't genuinely equipped for taking care of the work, at that point you will get terminated and supplanted with somebody who can take care of the work. You're decisions right presently are to go to work and take care of the work that is anticipated from you or concede you can't take care of the work and quit. On the off chance that it's that terrible, at that point possibly don't appear, not a lot they can do on the off chance that you've just been there a couple of days leave the employment off your resume'. Getting terminated will be more humiliating than simply strolling off the work.

There are other jobs out there, if your really unhappy either ask for help to maybe find an easier way or ask to work in a different  department. Don't be embarrassed just be honest with them. ( stacking shelves seems like an awesome work out, maybe just build up your stamina?) 

I asked this question , I’m not saying it’s hard because I don’t get it , I’m saying it’s hard because I can’t pick up these heavy products whilst on a stool and I’m picking up 20 cans of baked beans with no help.

• Judy

If you're not physically able to do the job, you need to find a different  job.  good luck, and no reason to be embarrassed.

If you can't meet the physical requirements of the job, you'll eventually lose it. Stocking shelves is not a brain buster. All items should be at the front of the shelf, with newer products placed in the back.