Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

How to make pasta bake not bland?

I made a pasta bake with bechamel sauce but I tasted it and it is quite bland. I seasoned it before and everything but i guess not enough. Is there any way to save it now that it has been cooked already? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Pasta dishes ARE bland. No you cannot save it.

• Amy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I feel like beschamel is a pretty plain, somewhat bland sauce so if you just have that and plain pasta it's no wonder the dish is bland.  I would cook up some bacon, dice up a bunch of green onions, add a cp or two of shredded cheddar and stir it up in into the pasta dish and bake 20 min to heat it good and melt the cheese.  

Of course my choice of bacon, onion and cheese is a personal taste.  You can do the same with ingred you like but they need to be strongly flavored.  

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Reheat your bechamel and make it into a Mornay sauce, adding some Tabasco sauce for some Zip. 

• Janet
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Whatever you use, you would want to stir it in/mix it in.  And if would depend on what else is in the dish, and/or what you are serving the dish with.

You might find garlic powder good.The French often add a bit of nutmeg to bechamel ... or white pepper.  But it depends on what else you have in the dish.Grated Parmesan cheese is always a nice addition.You might want to try a bit of dry mustard powder.Crispy fried, diced bacon is always a nice addition.

So are cooked green peas, or even edamame.

Sliced green onions.

Garlic and parnesan are the two most-often addition to bechamel sauce.

Bechamel sauce is considered one of the five "mother" (essential) sauces in French Cooking.  Several types of sauces are made FROM the base Bechamel sauce:

- Cheddar cheese sauce, which also adds dry mustard powder and Worcestershire sauce

- Creme sauce, which uses cream instead of milk, and often adds black pepper, chives and parsley

- Mornay sauce, typically used for fish or eggs.  Uses whole cloves (removes  before serving), minced onion, bay leaf, Gruyere and Parnesan cheese

- Soubise sauce, used for vegetables.  Onions are sauteed in butter and then added to the Bechamel.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anton
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

To make not "bland" -- a dash of Arizona Gunslinger:  https://www.azgunslinger.com/store/variety-gift-pa...  Five small bottles to try.

• 4 weeks ago

Once it is cooked it is difficult to season it properly. 

Next time taste the béchamel before you add it to anything.  And the "secret" to a good béchamel is nutmeg a few gratings of fresh nutmeg is all you need. 

for now salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and maybe a sprinkling of parmesan or Romano cheese. 

• 4 weeks ago

if its bland than its your sauce...butter and/or  cheese might help

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.