Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 4 weeks ago

I was taken abroad and forced to marry someone from Germany. How do I get back to America?

I've asked this question but I only received some troll questions who thought I was faking.

I'm 25 years old and I was taken to Germany as a "vacation" and upon arrival, I was forced to marry someone my parents planned for me. I've been suffering in this unhappy marriage for quite some time. My husband is not a bad man actually but I dont quite love him. I feel bad for him because I feel like I'm wasting his time. He wants a child so I'm not allowed to take birth control. Although I secretly do. He does control me and I'm not allowed to go out. He doesnt have a job either so hes always at home and I feel suffocated. I really want to return back to America but my passport has been expired for a year now. I've been here for 2 years and 6 months now and I've had enough. I've reached my breaking point and talking to my husband wont do anything. I'm scared of contacting the embassy in fear of getting my family or husband into trouble. I also dont have phone service so I cant call them. I might have to email them. I'm hesitant to email them. Will they actually help me? Or bring police to my house and embarrass me in front of everyone? I just want to leave without my husband knowing. I dont know what to do and fear is holding me back. When I contact them, what do I say? How will they help me? What will they do?

I have no money. 


 I do have $200 American dollars that I've brought with me but that's not enough for a flight home. 

I do have relatives close by who can be dangerous if I'm spotted while trying to leave. I literally have only have 200 American dollars and I dont know anyone who can lend me money.. I did not have many friends and I've lost contact with all of them

Update 2:

Of course I had the chance to say no. But I didn't for the sake of my family. They kept threatening me and I was young and dumb and got scared so I agreed. I like how you assume things about me, David. You don't even understand my situation and the **** I've been through. Thanks for the advice though.

7 Answers

  • 4 weeks ago

    Go to the U. S. CONSULAT

  • 4 weeks ago

    You're an adult. Make your choices. 

    If you are a US citizen, you can apply for a US passport, and return to the US whenever. 

  • 4 weeks ago

    In Germany forced marriage is a serious crime.  Even if it is forced by coercion rather than physical violence.  However waiting two years and six months would undermine any claim you make.  The fact that you have "had enough" suggests "buyers remorse" rather than forced marriage.

    So you are looking at divorce rather than criminal proceedings.  Criminality would exist if any of your family made threats against you for attempting the divorce.

  • i + i
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    As others have said: Assuming you 

    are an American citizen, get your 

    passport and head to the embassy. 

    What you say to them is exactly 

    the same as what you told us.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • David
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

    I don't think anybody would have to be a TROLL for thinking that you are faking.  Nobody in Germany is going to force you to get married.  Period.  For one thing, you have to sign the marriage license, in front of witnesses.  If you didn't want to get married, was somebody LITERALLY holding a gun to your head when you signed the document stating you intended to get married?  (doesn't smell right)

    Also, at most weddings, the person formalizing the wedding will ask if there's any reason that these two can not be lawfully wed.  There's no reason that a prospective bride couldn't speak up at that point and say, "YEAH!!!  I really don't want to do this..."

    Of course, that assumes that you were forced somehow to attend your own wedding.  Did somebody put the barrel of a gun in your back and force you to walk down that aisle?

    Oh, and after the wedding, you need to sign the marriage papers again, in front of witnesses.  This is before the papers are filed to make the marriage legal.  You had at least four opportunities to stop YOURSELF from getting married.  If you are trying to tell me that somebody held a gun to your head through the whole process, forcing you to make at least 4 deliberate actions to get married...

    NO, I do not buy that.  Only an idiot would buy that story.

    However, just for the helluvit...

    Let's assume for a moment that your whopper of a lie is a true story.  You really were forced to marry somebody in Germany, and now you want to go home to America, but your passport is expired and you don't have enough money for a flight home.

    That is specifically what the U.S. Embassy is for.  Even if you don't have money, and your passport is expired...

    If you show up at the U.S. Embassy with your *expired* passport and ask for help, they will arrange for temporary travel documents and put you on a flight home.

    From the U.S. Embassy web site for Germany:


    U.S. Citizens with emergencies, please call (030)8305-0

    Outside of Office Hours, contact: (030)8305-0

    I would suggest you wait until like 10:00AM on any weekday and take a walk.  Find a public park or something.  There, ask to borrow somebody's cell phone to make a phone call.  Or, you could walk into any police station in Germany and ask to make a phone call.  I can't imagine why the German police would not let an American citizen call the U.S. Embassy, if the American citizen asked nicely....  

  • T J
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

    You get to the american consulate, bring your papers/passport, ask for help, ask to be given a place to stay, until you can get back to America. Tell them how you were tricked into coming to Germany and forced to marry.

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    You're a citizen of ...... what country?  If you're a US citizen then the Embassy is your way out.  The police will not be interested in your story.  Take your passport and get to the US Embassy or a US Consulate. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.