Is starting a business the only way out of poverty?

Who the he-- wants to finish a Master's degree

just for a chance at a decent-job? Would you 

agree: 4-year degrees don't mean anything 

any more, so everyone's being pushed towards

Master's?!? There has to be a better-way?!?

• garry
    Favorite Answer

hard work and being clever gets you out of poverty , your to dumb to realise it .  diploma helps but it is not a guarantee .

Honestly, my 4 year degree was a complete waste, I have learned 85% of what I usefully use on my own. The degree only got me in... well no actually I got in the door before I graduated... it might have help me land later positions but not sure.  What gets most out of poverty is managing your money, saving & investing to a plan, setting goals and reaching them. 

If it is that truly sucks for those of us living in poverty since we can't afford to start a business.  We flying by the seat of our pants and can barely even afford to live in the present moment.

I wouldn't go that far. 4 year and 8 year and 10 to 12 year degrees do mean something. It just doesn't make sense to charge someone 10 times their body to get an education and to steal healthcare from the impoverished or those that have no inheritances or no income coming in to run every part of a town otherwise. The military and armed forces, that does need to go there. 

Starting a business should not be the only way out of poverty, but with the crazy Brussels Agreement and Agenda 20 - 55 policies they have. I can see why for most people why having a business, even selling legitimate products or using legitimate skills like sewing, knitting, baking, cooking, selling used clothes, used home decor art work, would be a way out. It is hardly your fault. 

Until society changes it's view on people like us, this will be the way things are. I do believe secondary education should be for all. Or be available to more people than it is. I also do think and believe people like me, whom under economics and business, but aren't likeable enough to have lots of friends, should be allowed to teach and train people to create more businesses in our areas and be allowed by the courts to be re-tested and to have our cases more closely examined, since corruption and bribery runs rampant in our streets and courts and with our social workers and detectives unfortunately. 

• John

You have a number of incorrect beliefs, which will serve to keep you in poverty.  A Masters degree is not the only way to get a decent job.  Despite nonsense spouted on the internet, 4 year college degrees are very valuable.  Learning a trade is another way to get a good job.  A proper job can get you out of poverty.  Once you do that, you can consider starting a business.

There are plenty of better ways than starting a business, which cannot be a way  out of poverty since that takes money a very poor person wouldn't even have. If you don't like the path you're on, then change the path. 

The usual way out of poverty is the military. Gert paid to learn a skill, and then get a good paying civilian job.  Fireman, policeman, air traffic controller, truck driver, mechanic.... {Without an education or training, a business will not get you out of poverty. 80% of businesses fail in the first 5 years. - I learned that in a college accounting course.}

No, I don't agree that the only choices are start your own business or get a useless degree.  There are literally hundreds of career choices that are taught on-the-job or in trade schools.  Sure, trade schools jobs usually involve a bit of physical work but would you rather have a sore muscle or two or hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt?  College is overrated, over recommended, and a waste of time for most (90%) of people who go.

A minimum wage job pays more than the poverty line. I think you're exaggerating your circumstances. 

I would not assume that, no. While starting a business may be successful for some, new businesses have a high failure rate and they are also a good way to lose a lot of money.

Worked for a couple years ago that got into a franchise. Closed up their shop after just a couple of years, and even ended up selling their house to try to get some money back in the bank... Too sad. It's not an easy thing to do.

Yes, bigger and bigger degrees required for jobs that shouldn't need them are ridiculous.