Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 4 weeks ago

If the universe is expanding then why aren't we being ripped to shreds right now from the expansion?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

I've been expanding lately. 

• Jon
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Because we are not "drawn" onto space like Magic Marker figures on a balloon. Our component molecules are free to move through space, or not, as the forces between them determine, thus maintaining our size and shape even as space expands. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Do your own homework, 

or just start * t h i n k i n g * about what the answer will be.

• 4 weeks ago

The expansion rate is only 7% per BILLION years. And it doesn’t affect things held together by other forces, such as gravity or electromagnetism (chemical bonds). The expansion rate was a lot faster many billions of years ago, and will be faster again many billions of years from now. But for the past 10 billion years, and for the next 30 billion years, the rate is pretty low.

Even if there was nothing else keeping you together, the expansion is about 140 nano-meters per lifetime ... less than one molecule. That’s for a 2 meter tall person, over 100 years.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Luke
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Maybe you are. Just very, very slowly.

• 4 weeks ago

Because the expansion only takes place on a scale where space is homogenous and we are composed of matter at a scale where electromagnetism and the strong nuclear force dominate in maintaining our integrity.  We're also at the bottom of a gravity well.  There is a hypothesis called the Big Rip that this will eventually happen in the very distant future.

• 4 weeks ago

After the universe being filled in with Energy , masses ,space and time , then mankind being send down to live  on this earth up till now.

• 4 weeks ago

2 reasons.

First, the rate of expansion is proportional to the distance between two points. If the distance s less than millions of light years, the expansion is to small to notice. 

Second, things that are held together by electromagnetism, like you and me, do not expand. Neither do things held together by gravity, like the solar system and Galaxy. These force are much stronger than the expansion of space. 

• 4 weeks ago

Lol,

On the scale of the universe, the expansion is actually incredibly slow. Look up some numbers. Then work out how much a cubic yard of space expands per million years in order to provide the measured expansion. That will tell you why the typical little primate on Earth doesn't notice anything.

• 4 weeks ago

Just because the universe is expanding doesn't mean everything IN the universe is expanding.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.