When should we have landed on the Mars if we landed on Moon in 1969?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

The Mars???????

• 4 weeks ago

Never.

Hello, but strapping blokes to boosters and shooting them up into outer space is an antiquated practice from way back in the "Space Age" of the 1960s. We have moved on since then, and discovered that the right way to explore outer space is robotically.

Note that every planet in the solar system has now been orbited, flown by, or landed upon by robotic spacecraft. As well as that, several asteroids and comets have been similarly visited. That shows the power, versatility, and robustness of robotics in space.

Manned spaceflight has been relegated to entertainment, typified by blokes floating about uselessly with frizzy hair in the ISS.

And to answer your question: we already landed on Mars. We landed on Mars in 1976. Check out the Viking missions. Yes, and of course they were also robotic.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

There is a problem with landing on Mars compared with the Moon.

1. Distance -  Takes 3 days to get to the Moon.   Takes 6 to 8 Months to get to Mars.

2. Gravity -  Once you land on the Moon it is easy to take off because of the Low Gravity.

Not the case with Mars. You need a bigger rocket and more fuel.

We still have not worked out all the details for the Mars Trip.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Ahahhahahhahahhahahaa! (HWMFLASM)!!  The answer is 'already' and 'before now' - The reason we haven't progressed is that we haven't figured out how to land a rocket on a moving target in a vacuum.  We only just now figured out how to land a rocket straight up and down, and that's only 50-60% accurate.  Oops - the modular lander came in sideways again.  Load up another crew, let's try this again.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There is no "should". Technically we can send a few humans TO Mars, but there's no way we can return them back to Earth. We have no compelling motive for such a suicide-mission

• Jim
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I was signed up (Naval Academy to astronaut program) specifically to go to Mars in 1980ish. I would have been 30. I assumed it would be a one-way trip at the time, but that was my life goal, to set foot on Mars.

They defunded the project, so I served on submarines instead.

• 1 month ago

Famous German rocket scientist Werner Von Braun said that he and NASA could have Americans on Mars by 1980 if Apollo level funding was continued for another ten years. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I think we could have shaved 20 years off if we had kept returning to the Moon and set up a base there. But you've got to admit it'll be easier with the experience and new knowledge gained in this century.

• We probably have the technology to land men on Mars, but there are some practical problems with putting humans there.  The most important is that it would take roughly 9 months to get there and another 9 months to get back.  Allowing for a reasonable length of mission, that's best part of 2 years' food, water and fuel to be transported.  Then you need to deal with the psychological problems of being away from Earth for 2 years and the physical problems of two 9 month spells of weightlessness.  However, we could send you to Mars tomorrow with no food and a hard landing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.