usaknight77 asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Blind/Deaf 10 year old miniature schnauzer?

My 10 year old miniature schnauzer is blind, deaf, and diabetic.  We give him his requrired insulin everyday, take him on walks, and he eats regularly.  He is pretty normal throughout the day.  However, at night when we are sleeping he starts crawling all over the bed (above our heads, on top of us, and all over).  Any ideas we could do or anything we can give him?

Make him a bed beside your bed & have him sleep there.  He can wander the house instead of just a bed.  Hope the bed is low enough for him to get off all by himself without falling off.

You could also get an exercise pen for dogs that he can stay in at night.  Check them out, they have a wide variety of them & one or two of them may be just what you need.

God bless you for taking care of such a helpless animal,and may God bless the dog too.

• ?

Well something is for sure - he shouldn't be encouraged to be up on your bed now.   It would be too easy for him to slip off.  Was he used to being in a crate ever because I'd suggest this is one example of how useful a crate can be.    But using one now, if he's never been  in one, could cause him to panic which clearly you do not want.

Can you move the bed so one side is against a wall, and put soft bedding on the floor alongside the other side and end of the bed so at least if he falls, he won't risk injury.   Once a dog has been allowed up on a bed, it's darned difficult to not have them up there.

It sounds as if he is panicking when the light goes off - he may yet have some sight but once it's dark, none.   Would your vet give you something for him, to keep him calm at night?

maybe ask the vet.AM not sure

• TB12

Put him on the floor, a blind, deaf dog crawling around on a bed is likely to fall off, and it may be a few feet for you but for a small dog it's like falling off a cliff, the potential for serious injury or death is there.

I also have a elderly (14 years) dog that is blind and diabetic, he used to sleep on the bed with me but because of the potential for him falling off the bed I put him on a pillow next to my bed, it took a few days for him to get used to it but now he's fine with it.