Why is music theory so confusing?

My teachers says it's easy but he's played for like 15 years and I've played for 1.

Why the fxck was this in singles and dating?

• ?

LOL. Anyways, maybe you need to see a tutor and try your best don't give up

• ?

Its too much like algebra, which also sucks.  

Think of music theory as of language.

Every language is difficult if you try to learn all at once.

Start with simple things you need more often, and progress step by step.

Doesn't matter how long someone has played for.  I've been playing music for over 30 years, and I barely speak the language of music theory.  Written music looks like chicken scratches on a barbed wire fence to me.

I know that Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge, but I forget which direction it goes in.  I know that 4/4 time is 4 beats per measure, which is why the Ramones always yell "one two three four" when they start a song.  And I know where all the notes are on my guitar strings.  That's pretty much all the theory I know, and I've written songs.

How long one has played has nothing to do with understanding theory. There are many musicians who has played for years but doesn't know music theory.  Music theory like any other subject depends on the teacher's method of teaching and the student's learning ability.

The actual basic principles are quite simple.

The problem is that terminology dates from hundreds of years ago and is complete nonsense, despite people trying to make excuses for it rather than admit that.

Just remember that semitones are equal increments all the way from the lowest note to the highest.

Any pattern of notes that works together at any point along that list of semitones can be moved, keeping the spacing, and it will work at any other point along that list.

eg. Guitar frets along each string are semitone steps.

There are twelve semitones per octave; move 12 steps up or down the list and you double or half the frequency.

It's a mathematical (logarithmic) series, with all semitone steps equal multiples of frequency [12th root of 2].

Keyboard instruments have the full "list" of semitone steps, if you ignore black/white and just consider all the keys in sequence.

The confusing (and to be blunt totally moronic) part is that the people that came up with the notation only named seven out of the twelve semitones in an octave...

That's the white keys on a piano or the lines and spaces on sheet music written in the key of C.

The other five semitones do not have names or places, they are written with the names of the adjacent notes/keys and a symbol to say if the unnamed note is the one higher (sharp) or lower (flat) from that. 

If the creator was trying to come up with the craziest and most obfuscated notation possible, they succeeded.

Ignoring the notation side, if you want to transpose a note or chord, you just move it some number of semitones.

You can do that literally on a guitar, by moving the fret or fretting pattern some number of frets higher or lower and you have moved that number of semitones.

The same thing applies with music in MIDI form, the full list of semitones is represented by sequential numbers and adding or subtracting a constant value transposes that number of semitones.

Do it on a keyboard or in score notation and various notes change between white<>black , named or sharp. Chaos!

The "Circle of fifths" diagram is one of the few illustrations teachers use that actually shows all semitones equally spaced, as they are in reality.

Just remember it's only the notation that's weird, it's a bit like learning a foreign language and having to translate everything to that and back again.

It is useful to be able to read a score, but in reality it is not essential, you can play without reading it.

That's why a fair percentage of professional musicians, especially guitarists,  never learn to read music, and why tablature format is so popular for guitar and drums.

Some users on here will say that reading music is essential, to be a good musician - I'd refer them to Stevie Wonder...

I am a career theory teacher.  Music Theory is the recipe book for being able to compose music, and communicate with players, in ANY STYLE you wish.  It is like learning to read and write - but in a couple of languages, some easier for you than others.  You can unlock all the creative wisdom of hundreds, if not thousands, of years of music.  You can plan out and organize ANYTHING that can possibly come into your head, or anything you hear, or discover by *accident* while playing  You can learn how to make all you own musical works tighter, cleaner, more moving in ANY emotional direction you want - and then, how to do that AGAIN if you want to write another work in that same style - but maybe for a different ensemble - move your garage-band song into a movie score for a full orchestra - or even all-digital, done at your computer.  I have been doing this since 1973 - our adult son now has his MM degree in this area, but in music technology and recording arts.  There is NO END to what you can see/hear/DO if you know the formulas to use.  There are no short cuts - just lessons, classes, study, hard work - and your own experimentation.  Do you have an idea mow much stuff Beethoven BURNED or threw out?  Or that Mozart did EVERYTHING in his head, and never made any revisions or second copies?  If the teacher you have is not a theorist, but a musician who only learned what THEY needed - then they might not be as good at teaching YOU, as you need.  And for a teacher to tell struggling students that it is EASY - well, not until it clicks for YOU, it is not.  Keep working at it - ask here - there are several of us who will help you - unless it is obvious that you are sending copies of homework . .   Good luck!

• ?

Music business is hard

Mostly because it is a complex topic, but also because the rules were written to apply to 18th century European music and are straining to try to be relevant to all musics today.