What is the easiest, most to the point; way to repair scratched cd's at home with commonly available s***?

Describe process fully please and why it works.  

It's a myth to believe repair of CDs is possible, The surface relies upon 'pits and lands' to handle data.

cd's WHAT?   .

• W

I find that with a non-abrasive eraser works wononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono ...

Poo works. You just smear it. 

Novus plastic polish is very effective --- I have used it myself --- 

but it takes considerable time and effort and correct technique.   

It is important to read the instructions that come with the product.    

Because most people don't really want to learn how to do anything right, 

I recommend taking scratched discs to a store that offers polishing services.    

• ?

either buy a disc restorer kit , the plain old toothpaste , but it takes longer with tooth paste . have heard a fine grade of car paint polish works on then to ..

There are some commercially available CD scratch removers, and they generally cost a few dollars. I have also had success with using polishing (not rubbing) compounds intended for automobile paints. Even cleaner  waxes for cars can be used. Very deep scratches may not be repairable. Also, if the label side of the CD is damaged then the CD is history. DVD's are different as the data layer is sandwiched between 2 layers of plastic, one on top and one on the bottom. The CD only has protection on one side. 

Once they are scratched, you are done.  They become objects you hang in the garden to scare the deer.  The junk you might see in an ad, that SAYS it works - does not.  I have over 5,000 CDs (moved the vinyl out) and have been in the music business full-time since 1973.  Mine do not get scratched - nor do the very expensive musical instruments we own - well into 6 figures - ever get dropped, dented, scratched, etc.  Never broke a cell phone. House and 2 studios here are in showroom condition.  Am driving a 2004 slant-6 Chevy that looks like it rolled out yesterday.  Learn to take good care of your stuff - or do not buy any stuff.  That also cuts down on the cursing . . .

Poo works. You just smear it. 

• Barry

It's a myth to believe repair of CDs is possible, The surface relies upon 'pits and lands' to handle data. Once that surface is impaired it's permanently damaged.