Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 3 months ago

What is the point of school nurses?

A kid gets sick? Send him to the main office and call the parents. A kid is seriously sick or gets hurt? Call an ambulance. Having an RN per building (sometimes more depending on size) is such a waste of money. All they do is what I listed above: call the parents or an ambulance. They don't do any kind of treatment and are extremely limited in terms of medical supplies.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You are right but perhaps having the world without any nurses would help you during you are sick... Maybe the doctor would suggest you to be back home with the medication and help your own self... Maybe you no need those nurses to not taking care of your health during your illness period... Or perhaps when you get sick, people surrounding you just have to watch and see you while you sick only... Isn't it?

• edward
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Maybe your school nurse didn’t do anything.  The one at my school was busiest at the start of the school year when all the immunizations and school physical exams needed to be done.  She did flu shots every year for the season.  The school you went to aren’t paying the nurses enough to do anything worth while.  

• 3 months ago

A lot of schools agree with you. They don't have the money to employ an RN. And yes, they may be limited, but there are plenty of reasons to have one even so. A nurse, for instance, would be better ABLE to diagnose a sick kid from one who is not really sick, but only pretending--or recognize serious problems that may require a doctor, or sending a kid home, or calling an ambulance. I'd rather the school had someone who had SOME medical training than no one--but not all schools are able to afford to employ  one. 

• 3 months ago

It'd be readily obvious if you weren't brain-dead. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

HAVING someone at the school who can make those decisions. 

• 3 months ago

One reason is to decide if the kid is sick enough to need to call the parents or an ambulance.  It's a major inconvenience (and minor financial expense) to everyone when a teacher thinks a kid is sick, the parents are called and and take the kid to the doctor, and the doctor says the kid isn't that sick and could have stayed in school.  The RN would have been able to tell that and save everyone the trouble.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

My friend used to be a school nurse. She was the only person allowed to administer prescription medications kids needed to take during the school day; that was why the school kept a nurse on staff.

But she also made it her business to notice kids with injuries, lacking the appropriate clothes and boots for the weather, or suddenly changing their behavior, in essence doing community nursing by noting which kids might need help and being the one who did the first outreach.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.