Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 3 months ago

Living in a single dorm vs apartment with roommate?

Which is cheaper? Living in a single college dorm or living in an apartment with a roommate?

• MS
    Favorite Answer

That depends entirely on the specific costs of each in your area.  At my university, private dorm rooms, with the required meal plan, cost more than some nearby apartments.  There are also plenty of very nice apartments that cost far more than the private dorm rooms.  With apartments you have to also consider the additional costs of utilities (which are not always included) and food. 

Broadly speaking single dorm rooms are cheaper than apartments. But this isn't always true. A huge factor that determines the cost of accommodation is location. If you live closer to the city centre, then the cost of rent increases. Whereas, if you choose to live outside the city centre, you can benefit from low rent rates. However, if you want to familiarise yourself with various room types, check out the following blog - https://uniacco.com/blog/en-suite-room

• ?

I lived on my own while being single and I was happy because sometimes your roommates think they can skip a month here, and there.

Living in a cardboard box under the expressway is the way to go.  It's the cheapest option and prepares you for real life better than college will since that's where you'll be living after college.

DEPENDS ...........

• ?

Depends. You'll have to do some math and figure put the cost of rent, utilities, groceries etc. (Basically all the things you'll need to pay for if you live in an apartment) and compare them to dorm fees and usually a required meal plan

I have never see a dorm where you live by yourself.   All the one's I have seen you have to share a bathroom or other common areas with others.    The only advantage of living in a dorm is you are close to school and can get more sleep in the morning.