Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 3 months ago

True or false? Only autistic people are the true experts on autism?

As an autistic, I say true. Autism needs no “cure”. I don’t have cancer or a mental illness so pointless to “cure”. Early intervention during the first 3 years are what is what will make autistic children successful. 

Orla you’re a retard, cancer and autism aren’t a comparison. Cancer is a disease not a disability.

I would say true, but only if they can communicate effectively. 

Now being on the autism spectrum myself, I can definitively say "Never look an autistic person directly in the eyes because you can trip them out. There's something unexplained in their brain that triggers them, and I can tell you by experience."

But if all I could say was "dEEEEeeeEEEeeeeEEEEeEEEEEEEEEE!!!" then no, I would not be an expert and this premise would be false.

Cancer is both a disease and a disability, but it is not on the same plane as Autism. Cancer has a beginning and an end point, at least for most people who develop it. Autism does not.

And since Autism is not always identified in early childhood, your claim that intervention during the first 3 years of a child's life is what leads to success in later life is bogus. I'm past 50, but my Autism wasn't diagnosed until a few years ago, because there were no methods available to identify it when I was growing up.

You're suggesting that no one can be an expert on autism unless s/he is autistic, which is untrue.

There's no cure for autism. But doctors can give you some medicines in order that you feel better, if you want that, of course. 

• Orla

False.  That's like saying only people with cancer are true experts on cancer.