Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwarePrinters · 3 months ago

Would a high resolution color lazer printer from 1994 be worth anything today ?

This printer was commercial level and used in a big print studio,  it can bring A3, A2 and A1 and in 16:9 ratio color prints.

its a colossal machine and is cannon build.

it prints magazine quality.

my uncle let me take it,  along with all the cables and wires and accessories that come with it and its sitting in my basement doing nothing heh

my brother called me an idiot for bringing more junk into our home and doesn't believe I'll find any use for it.

should I sell this on or keep it ?

It will cost you a lot to move it.

My advice :  Just offer it as free to a charity (assuming it produces good prints) 

• P

You have to remember printers are mechanical, they wear out and need maintenance like a car.  Unlike a car they don't make enough spare parts for an old printer like this to keep it going.   This printer likely isn't possible to properly maintain.  The fact it was in a print shop also likely means it was used heavily.  I honestly don't think you will even be able to sell it as it would cost more to move then it's worth.  You will probably have to pay someone to dispose of it, since it's not legal to just dump that type of stuff anymore.  

• garry

no told old , get a computer now with a parallel port is impossible , just good for junk .

If you can still use it, then it will be okay.

Any functional A1-size printer is worth a decent amount of money - they cost ludicrous amounts to buy new and there is a good secondhand market.

• keerok

Probably not much but you can still try to sell it. Who knows? Someone might know how to deal with it. Newer colored laser printers are cheaper, easier to handle, and have ink cartridges still widely available in stores. Canon does have very strict marketing rules when it comes to their propriety ink.

• Rayal

Don't forget to find the 1994 drivers for a WinXP or earlier computer.

Now look for the toners and see if they are still available. 

I may be worth something to someone but if you cannot get it to print anything it is a boat anchor.

• VP

Search for a similar gadget on Ebay and see how much the seller is asking for it. 

Certainly it has value, but not for resale. Newer printers have more features and maintenance is less. That is, if I had it, I would use it, but not attempt to sell. Maybe donate to a group that needs a printer.

• J

Almost everything is worth something to somebody. The problem is finding the right buyer. Very few people are going to be interested in buying a 26-year old printer, commercial quality or not. As far as keeping it goes, if you're unable to use it yourself, I don't see any point in keeping it, unless it has sentimental value.