Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 2 months ago

Best fighting styles to fight bullies?

So I already know some good fighting styles to fight bullies.  Just wanted to see if anyone is thinking what I'm thinking.

• Bon

I highly doubt you know any "good fighting styles". The effectiveness of any martial art lies not in the name, but with the teacher. The name doesn't mean a thing and tells you nothing about how effective it will be in a fight. Not all teachers of anything are created equals. Some are good, some bad, and some are even frauds. 

• Paul

the good ole shot to the nuts is the de facto fighting style...

one blow to the ole nut sac will give u some leeway on what to do next ...

Fight fire with fire. Be a bully back to the bully. Be the bullies bully.

Let them feel the pain they give to everyone they bully.

Just run a psych op game back to the bully

Boxing, wrestling, muay thai or kick boxing, Brazilian jiu jitsu or all at once MMA

• Steel

I see questions like this, and one a little earlier about fighting MMA guys, and I just feel compelled to remind everybody that disciplines do not exist in a vacuum. That is, it only takes one lucky shot, whether it be from someone who boxes, trains in judo, trains in TKD, practices kung fu, or has no formal training whatsoever.

That said, some methods are more applicable to actual self-defense than others, but what is the point in your asking? Do you want to train to defend against bullies? Do you know what's available in your area? What is your area? Bullies in some areas could be drastically different than in others... See? No vacuum.

Whether for fitness or self defense, my recommendation is to start with good ol' Western Boxing.  The reason for this is that "styles" are meaningless without a sound foundation of balance, footwork, timing and distance.  In my opinion, boxing provides this and also stresses proper fitness levels that not only improve health, but also self esteem.

Once you have good footwork and mechanics, you can move on to Asian boxing styles that will introduce the knees, elbows and new angles for the fists.  Only then would I suggest moving on to grappling and throwing styles like Jujitsu and Aikido. 

The reason I say "only then" is not to belittle those styles but to emphasize that, in the real world, your priority should be to avoid grappling and going to the ground if at all possible.  Too many bad things can happen and technique often goes out the window. You can have great MMA ground skills, for example, but what if the other guy has a knife, an infectious disease or three buddies standing ready to pounce on you?

The best "style" for fighting is learning how to avoid them in the first place or end them as quickly as possible.  Simply raising your self-esteem and fitness level will prevent a lot of bullying.  If someone gives you no choice, use good footwork to avoid getting taken down and good timing to get in your shot.

Ju Jitsu is my choice

Kickboxing (or even just regular old school boxing.  Kickboxing would be better though), Muay Thai, Krav Maga, Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)

Brazilian Jui Jitsu would be not too good in some situations (like when on a sidewalk or versing multiple people), but be EXTREMELY good in other situations.