What is High functioning autism?

What kind of autism do I have? I'm 16 years old I was diagnosed with mild autism at age 2 where my autism was slight and I was under the umbrella spectrum.

You have to ask the Experts that deals with Autistic People. High Functioning Autism is a Delayed developmental disability. If affects the way you develop and the way you understand the World.

I have a friend with high functioning autism and he struggles with certain things such as understanding other people’s emotions and how to deal with it himself then he is quite bright and when he communicates it doesn’t look like he struggles at all. 

He left school with little to no qualifications yet knows how to set up his own farming community/ business. 

• donnie

That means it does not affect you as much. Meaning you don't have severe intellectual, physical, etc. disabilities  

• drip

Autistic means many many different things. You are 16. Time for you to have a direct talk with your doctor. Write a list of all your questions. You may want to request you be reevaluated so you know exactly what is going on with you. 

I hate the term "high functioning" in reference to Autism, because it's so demeaning. It was coined in 1944 by the Nazi doctor for whom Asperger's Syndrome is named. Asperger believed that certain people with what he called "high functioning" Autism could be trained to perform menial labor and tasks for the benefit of the Reich. Everyone ELSE with Autism in any form, however- well, they deserved to DIE- and DIE they did. By the hundreds of thousands. Jews weren't the only ones that were murdered by the Nazi death machine. The Nazis also targeted anyone who didn't meet their standard of the "master race", including Catholics, homosexuals, the mentally ill, those with physical disabilities- for death too. That's why the death toll which is commonly given for the Holocaust- around 6 MILLION- is probably an underestimate.

The term you want, John, is the term you used first. You have MILD Autism, not "high functioning". And yes, you are on the Autism Spectrum, as am I. I have mild Autism myself, and no, it wasn't the result of vaccines. I was born with it, the way most people who are on the spectrum are.

If the only diagnosis you have was made when you were 2, you should consider having yourself retested, because your level of functioning can change as you mature.

• keerok

If you have autism, no matter what level of function, you are IN the spectrum. The trend nowadays is to do away with function labels. You have it or you don't.

High functioning means you can do more "normal" things than those in the lower cases. The lower ones may also have other issues like retardation so they have a harder time behaving "normally". It's always about comparing to the neurotypical (NT) or normal. The closer you are to NT, the higher functioning level you are. 

Still, whatever functioning level you have been labeled with, you still are autistic. Don't get me wrong. I have an autistic son with lower than average IQ but since he's stubborn as a goat, he graduated college just this March while lockdowns were going in place. He's very disappointed he can't go out to find work knowing he already has a diploma.

You might be completely normal.  Can't tell from here. 

• Nicey8

You need to ask the doctor, not on yahoo forum