Robin
Robin asked in SportsCycling · 2 months ago

In the 70s was your bike a Rayleigh Chopper ?

I bought a store brand 10 speed road bike from Montgomery Ward in the 1970s. Back then a new Peugeot or Raleigh 10 speed costs around $150 and up. 

• Jon

No, I had a Raleigh Traveller, a much more useful and sensible design. The Chopper was a toy for fantasy play.

It was a second-hand Schwinn Stingray.  I learned to ride in the very late 70s.  

• ?

In the 70's, my bike was a real chopper. A 1969 Harley Davidson with a 16 over front end, king and queen seat on a hard tail frame, and almost everything was candy apple purple or chrome...those were the days.

Yeah, I got a hand me down from my brother.  It was OK, but not brilliant on to ride.  My next bike was a 10 speed.

• F

No my brother got one but they were heavy and wobbled badly at speed. I got a 10 speed racing bike instead.

By the 70s the Stingray phase had mostly played out. The Raleigh chopper was for late-comer wannabees. I was on 10-speed bikes by then.

• D50

In the 70s I got my first Paramount. 

• pmt853

No chopper of any kind whether Raleigh, Rayleigh or Really.

Rayleigh is a nobility name from England a long time ago.  i.e. Baron Rayleigh - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Rayleigh

RALEIGH is the name of a bicycle company.  In the '70's I got a free trip aboard a C-130 cargo plane to Saigon compliments of Uncle Sam & the U.S. Air Force.  I was a little busy at the time.  No time for bicycles.  I didn't fool around with (as Wikipedia describes it) a "children's bicycle".  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raleigh_Chopper