Is it possible to apply to Medical School with a Master's degree and no Bachleor's?

I'm an RN working on a Med/Surg and Oncology unit and I'm thinking about medical school. However, I really went a non-traditional route in that I completed my 2 years of nursing prereqs at a community college and then completed the 2 year nursing program at that same community college. After I graduated with an associate degree in nursing (ADN) I attended an ADN-MSN bridge program and got my Master's degree in Nursing at a university in my area.

I always had the idea that I wanted to become a nurse practitioner and now I am literally 2 semsters away from completing that goal. But after gaining experience working in the hospital I am feeling more like I am better suited for the phycisian role. I have not completed any of the premed prereqs so my plan is to continue working full time as an RN while I work on those. However, do I also need to get a bachleor's degree as well? In my MSN program, we took the classes required fulfill the undergraduate competensies necessary for a BSN but my school was a graduate school and did not offer Bachleor degree's. At 27 it feels a little discouraging to have taken such a indirect route to medicine. How many years would it take before I could even apply to med school? I'm making a really good wage right now which also begs the question do I want to give that up? I'm also recently married and I'm concerned the cost this would place on my family.  I appreciate any input, advice, or experience people may feel would be helpful. Thank you!

Hhmmm... My advice to you is do take the basic medical study like diploma and degree course before taking the master to PhD course because you need the strong basic medical study to help you during the advance course as mentioned... Skipping it all to Master or PhD course without any basic medical such certificates, Diploma, Bachelor etc will ruining your career to be a professional medical health cares... I suggests to you that you need to undergo all the medical course programs flow chart as a mandatory... Sorry, that to tell you that being a medical personal really need you to be more professional than the old time path in medical fields... I am a nurse and I did my diploma for 3 years fulltime study... I passed the national examination to become a RN... I also thinking about the Master to PhD program too like you think about it but I need to undergo for more than 3 years for Bachelor program before proceeding the Master to PhD course to uphold the strength of my basic... Its a compulsory to do so and you need to be more patient and wise to walk along your career in this industry... Good luck to you... 

I didn't realize I was only to get troll answers. A Master's degree does fulfill the Bachelor's degree requirement to apply to medical school. As far as the premed courses, I was told by several medical schools it really doesn't matter. Just have to complete the pre-req's while I continue to work as an RN. I was told my clinical experience may be beneficial to my application.

• edward

You can apply to med school even if you are 6 years old.  They probabky wouldn’t accept you as anything but a patient though

If you're considering medical school or any other professional program (such as grad school for physical therapy/DPT, occupational therapy/MOT or DOT, or physician assistant), it's generally recommended to *not* take pre-req classes at community college.

You can apply to ANYTHING.  It takes real credentials to get what you want.

Yes, you can apply to medical school even if you are in the fifth grade.

Will you get accepted?  If you are in the fifth grade, probably not...there are a lot of tests that you have to pass before your application is accepted.

The requirements to get into med school are not the same as to become an RN/NP.

You can take the MCAT right now and apply to med school, but getting accepted is a different story.  Even if you get accepted (which isn't likely considering your competition is already where they need to be) you have 2 years or so of prereq you are going to have to take before starting the actual program.