?
? asked in Computers & InternetHardwarePrinters · 2 months ago

Did you buy an 'all in one' printer in the last 6 months ?    If it's a good printer can you recommend it ?

( Pref. not Epson as the software in their printers won't allow use of non-Epson ink cartridges )

Thanks

Any actual model recommendation ?

" in the last six months " ?

In most of the surveys I've seen, 'Brother' come top and Epson bottom 

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Why are you still messing about with "Ink Cartridges"? The most expensive liquid on the planet. Ink Jet Printers are a scam, they sell the printers real cheap and rip you off with the ink.  Every time you power on, ink is used to clean the heads.  And if you don't use the printer very often the ink dries out.

All in One Printer - Brother Multi-Function Printer MFC-L2710DW   Laser Printer (no ink).

Laser Printers use Toner which is already Dry.  The Price of Laser Printers is coming down and so is the Toner replacement packs.  Fast making ink jets obsolete.

I have one recently bought from Staples. 

Epson Workforce WF 2630.

I don't recommend the brother MFC, I still have it and want to replace it with a Lexmark, the wifi doesn't work on it, neither does the Bluetooth, when I plug in my old laptop it prints but gives me a few error messages first. Bought it last year and something quality is a better investment.

• For all of the reasons mention in the best answer I bought an all-in-one, monochrome laser printer. Also as mentioned in the best answer I too have a Brother and I'm very happy with it.

• David

Bought an HP Color LaserJet MFP M476dn for my office several years ago.  It's been great.

No, wouldn't get much use out of it.

get a laser model, not an ink jet.  much cheaper per page.  I have enjoyed both Brother and Samsung models over the decades

• ?

Brother all in one laser printers if you don't need color.

Brother all in one color lasers if you have the cash. 

I stopped using inkjets due to cost of ink and the crappy way printer companies lock it down on their printers.

• ?

well, generally speaking non-OEM ink cartridges are a bad idea, even if the printer supports them (most don't).

the reason is, the quality of third-party inks leaves much to be desired. especially if you are printing photos, they just don't do as well.

if your goal is to save money, then you should look at printers that sell individual inks, instead of all 3 colors in one cartridge. that way, if blue runs out but not red, you don't need to replace the whole cartridge of 3. just the one color.

if you really want quality photos, they have a 6-color printer that prints more accurate colors, saving you even MORE money (each cartridge is about $10).

lastly, they sell printers that have CANISTERS you can refill with just plain ink, so you don't have to worry about the sponges, which most printer inks use, drying up before you use the ink. 

HP has always been a favorite of mine for printers, but even EPSON and Canon make decent printers.

but yeah, if you choose to buy cheap ink, just remember that you get what you pay for. garbage in, garbage out.

same goes for paper. cheap paper causes paper jams quite easily, even in high-end printers. i learned that the hard way with my first printer, and some generic walmart paper...

Try an HP printer. I've had mine for several years and it works well and software is outstanding. And it works well with non-HP ink.