?
? asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Is the sentence grammatically correct?

I sat on the floor of the hall of my house this evening for register some things that happened this day. It's not a common thing, I know, many people prefer to sat on the chair and write on the table.

• Barry
    Favorite Answer

No. 'for register' is incorrect,'to record', or 'to write down' would be OK. Also 'this day' means a particular day but 'today' would mean the actual day that you sat down.  It should also be 'sit' not 'sat' in the second sentence. Otherwise it's all fine.

• ?

Instead of "for", replace it with "to" and the sentence will be fine.

There needs to be an 'of' between 'register' and 'some'. 'sat' should be 'sit'. The comma after I know should be replaced with a period.

"floor of the hall of my house"  I'd go for "floor in the hall of my house" just to avoid using "of the" twice so close together, though it isn't wrong.

• GA41

No.  Here is what I recommend:

I sat on the floor in the hall of my house this evening to record some things that happened today.  I know that it is not common to sit on the floor; many people prefer to sit on a chair at a table to write.