Leavenworth, WA?

From what I read and advice that bringing an 08 Ford mustang to LW is bad ,even with snow cables.  Is it true? I'm going 26 to the weekend of Nov.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Leavenworth is in the Cascade mountains. The town itself is small and relatively flat, but at an elevation of about 1100 feet. Snow & ice during the day are unlikely but possible. Icy roads overnight are a bigger risk. There are really only 3 ways to get there:

1. From Western WA take highway 2 over Stevens pass. This is a 2 lane highway in many sections, with steep sections, sharp turns and elevations that could easily get snow & ice in November. The highest point on this route is about 4500' elevation.

2. From Western WA you can also take Interstate 90 over Snoqualmie pass. This is mutli-lane interstate, much lower elevation (3000' highest point), and the FIRST road to get attention from snow plows and de-icing trucks during winter conditions. However, after you cross Snoqualmie pass you have to take highway 97 over Blewett Pass which is a less traveled road with steeper hills, sharper turns, and less snow removal. In fact they will often simply close the pass if conditions get bad. There's also no cell service for major sections. Blewett pass has a peak elevation of about 4100;

3. From Eastern WA you take highway 2 into the mountains. You don't actually go through any mountain passes but there are some curves and hills to worry about.

So even if you have chains and know how to install them, a rear-wheel drive sports car is a poor choice. It *might* be fine. You *might* be able to cross the mountains without hitting snow or ice. Or you *might* be able to safely navigate snowy conditions with chains and extreme caution, but its certainly not a good choice. I would take just about any other car instead if you have another option.

This might be a good situation to rent a car. Get a mid-size car with front wheel drive or a small SUV with AWD and modern traction control systems. Pay for the upgraded insurance and roadside assistance coverage so that if something does happen you're covered.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's pretty flat,so once you're there, you should be fine.  But it IS in the mountains, so you have to get up THEM.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.