My twin sister wants to become a witch (Long read)?

Please help me, I have no idea what to do. I'm 15, still young, not very self-aware, wrong about a lot of things. I need other people's perspectives on this. 

So just a little while ago I went to check a group chat I'm on with my twin sister and our mutual friend who is a lot closer to my sister than she is to me. I'll call my sister M and my friend A. 

I saw that M was talking to A about becoming a witch. They joke about weird things frequently, so I wasn't super worried but I asked about it anyway. Turns out M was dead serious. We spent about an hour arguing over this (excessive I know). In my opinion, though witchcraft may sound harmless at first, it comes with a very toxic mindset: believing in baseless things like potions and crystals to solve your life problems. I think that would lead my twin down a dark path, and I care about her so I didn't want to see that happen. 

M, on the other hand, was super mad at me for not being supportive and accepting. I would be both of those things if the concerned hobby was crocheting or ballet, but it's witchcraft, which is totally different in my opinion.

Both A and M made me feel like a judgemental, crazy idiot, but I still feel like I'm right on this one. I really need another perspective

• Robin

Try being a hedge witch first. Don’t join a covern from the internet 

Your sister is living in a dream world. Years ago she would have been ducked in a pond and burnt to death for saying this. What is so great about being a witch? I bet she does not even know about all the different types or now to do it. When she is a year older she will be imagining she will be a famous rich actress singer or model. When she is 30 shebe going on about getting marreid and still single cause nobody wants to marry a weirdo. 

In my opinion, though Christianity may sound harmless at first, it comes with a very toxic mindset: believing in baseless things like prayers and crosses to solve your life problems. 

• JimZ

I am a twin and I have heard it all but I can imagine you might hear which which is witch now.  

Your parents are obviously religious.  And it doesn't matter what your sister's and her friend's real names are, let alone what you call them here.

Your sister is going through a phase, and it's nothing to worry about.  Witchcraft isn't really a thing, it's just the official unofficial religion of rebellious teenage girls with religious parents.  She's not going to sell her soul to the devil, and she's not going to put any curses or spells on anyone.  None that will work, at least.

You said it yourself, 15 is still pretty young and inexperienced.  I was there myself once, and it's a really crazy stage of life.  At 15 your parents are always telling you you're too young to understand how stuff works, then ten minutes later they criticize you for acting like a child.  How can anyone not rebel against that?  Witchcraft is just another way to push back and be rebellious.  It's no different than getting a weird haircut or listening to music your parents hate.

I haven't done any magic spells myself, but I've dated, fallen in love with and just plain slept with enough self-described witches to know how witchcraft really works.  That's how I know it's just a phase.

• Ludwig

That is SO 2000's!  I thought all the Buffy fans had grown up and gone to a bingo hall somewhere.

Dealing with the spirits is always dangerous. If a person wants to become a witch, he must dedicate his whole life for spirits. He cannot leave it in the middle. If he stops there may be some problem. Possession of spirits will change the normal life path. He must be ready to accept that life. Witch craft changes some people into evil. Therefore becoming a witch is not good.

Leave them to it.  It's either just a phase or, well, if you've never read any of the Terry Pratchett Discworld novels now is a fine time to start.  I'd recommend starting with "Wyrd Sisters."  Why recommend a tongue in cheek comic novel?  Terry Pratchett was one of those really annoying people who seemed to know an awful lot about everything but wore his learning very lightly.  Shoe-horned into this novel are highly recognizable types of modern witches.  You're afraid your sister is going to become a "Magrat" but she'll either get bored and find a new hobby or graduate into a "Granny Weatherwax" who gives a masterclass in "headology," or how to get into a positive mindset and then set about taking practical steps to make things happen.  It's a good read, you'll especially enjoy the spoofing on Macbeth and you'll come away with some perspective. 

Pray the Psalm "the LORD is my light and my salvation" at least 40 times a day for at least 40 straight days (that's at least 1600 times in total). If that doesn't help, then keep praying that Psalm at least 40 times a day for the rest of your life. If it helps, then keep praying that Psalm at least 3 times a day for the rest of your life; forgive me.

First, educate yourself.  Witchcraft is not toxic - you're thinking of Christianity.  Witches generally believe in helping others, in being kind, and making the world a better place.  Which is why they are hated by Christians, who believe in hating others, hurting others, and destroying anyone who isn't like them.  Witches don't believe in potions or crystals to solve their problems.  You're thinking of new age spiritualists.

https://www.allure.com/story/real-life-witches-myt...