jason d asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 2 months ago

HDTV and my sister's mental problem?

A brief history of my sister's mental problem when it comes to televison pictures settings.

When we got our first HDTV it was an LG Plasma.

I thought it looked fantastic.My sister was indifferent.

So then I found an Advance Contrast option, and she insisted it stay on all the time. I personally didn't think it needed to be on for everything.

She kept complaining even when the advance contrast was on, she even started arguments about it.

The main contrast was at 100 and the advance contrast was on and somehow she still wasn't happy. 

Years later we got a Sony Bravia 4K LCD TV.

Now as I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone, LCD have a way higher contrast than Plasma tv's.

She still insisted the advance contrast be on. 

I complained it was too bright, and she still wasn't happy even with it on. Then she started noticing other settings such as gamma, now she insists the gamma

be at the highest point and it looks absolutely awful! Way too bright, you can see every imperfection in the picture, people look like A4 paper, and whole picture is just washed out and over exposed.

And to make things even more annoying, whenever we are watching a Blu-ray of HD picture, she complains about the color, but then she will watch a crummy Standard Definition show from 1989(with a resolution so bad you can barely see where the actor's pupils are) and she sits there without complaining!! 

Please tell her she has a psychotic problem. 

No she has not been to an ophthalmologist.  

I believe she doing it out of spite, hence why she complains about a HD picture and not a 240p resolution...lol

LCD/LEDs tend to have a worse contrast compared to their plasma counterparts. The reason being is because to have the best contrast level, you need to have the TV produce a deep black level without lifting it or making it look grey. Plasma could do that, where as even modern LEDs need to have a full array local dimming, and even then only the premium models have enough zones to get pretty close to doing that.

However, plasma no longer exists because it couldn’t be produced in a bigger size, it cost too much to make compared to LED, and it weighed a ton. That being said, there is a far superior display that is like a plasma TV but on steroids which is OLED. I have two of them, one LG and the other Sony and both are absolutely phenomenal.

Unlike LEDs, there is no backlight so each pixel is controlled independently and will shut off when needed to produce a black image. It’s true black, because there isn’t a light bleeding through the pixels. So because of this, the picture is fantastic out of the box, the color accuracy is on point, and it has fantastic bright highlights. 

The reason I recommend this TV, is because I also didn’t like the way my old LED looked without the contrast booster on. Everything looked... flat to me. Like there wasn’t any depth to the picture. I know it was a no no in the home theater community but it just looked better to me. I wanted it to look brighter, with having a deeper contrast level but the LED TV I had couldn’t do that.

I would call it a family problem, 

not a TV question. 

And, FYI, plasma TVs are the ones with superior contrast.   

This matter Should be settled by having an ISF-certified technician 

calibrate the gray scale of the TV (a $300 - or - so investment 

that may be more than worthwhile in this case), 

and Both You And Your Sister Leave It Set The Way The Technician Left It.     

You care way too much about what setting the tv is on.  That seems like a bigger mental issue than she does.  Maybe she can truly see a difference and your eye sight it now as keen as hers.

It's not necessarily mental...

She may have a VISION problem.  Some people interpret color differently than most.  Others are color blind.

For instance, I happen to have a slightly odd type of color perception in that I can see ultraviolent light: some bright flowers look fluorescent to me. It's not annoying to me - I like this deviation so I can appreciate colors more than most people.Has she been seen by an ophthalmologist who has training in color perception?