Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStudying Abroad · 2 months ago

How do I practice nursing if I got my degree outside the US?

I'm planning on moving to the US, and I already of a degree in nursing from Colombia, is that degree any good in the US? Would I have to study from scratch? How would this process be?


Also just wondering, would it be any different if I was Physical or Occupational Therapist instead? Asking because I'm thinking of studying that additionally.

2 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    You'd need to check with the country you wanted to move to - there may be additional qualifications required (depending on where yours were obtained), and you'll generally need to register with the nursing organisation of that country.

    And obviously you'd need a work visa; not all nurses / nursing qualifications are eligible.

  • 2 months ago

    First, there are NO nurse visas. You could ONLY work in the US if you are US citizen or legal permanent resident. And you must pass NCLEX exams, and must be fluent in English. Of course, fluency in Spanish (which would be considered a second language), or other language(s), can be advantage in many areas, certain hospitals with large foreign-language populations.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.