Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 2 months ago

Why do some actors have lisps but not when they are acting?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

I am unsure but I have a slight stutter but being in a amateur acting group has helped me get rid of it. 

I do not stutter on stage.

• 1 month ago

I don't know about lisping, but people who stutter don't stutter when they're singing, and that is largely a matter of breath control.

• 2 months ago

More than likely because they've worked very hard over a long period of time, to train  the lisp out of their acting.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I can't actually think of any actors who have a lisp, but many people lisp because they aren't really concentrating on their words - like people who stammer/stutter.

When acting, they already know exactly what they're going to say and are concentrating very deeply about what they're about to say.  They've rehearsed it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Sean Connery and  Humphrey Bogart had speech impediments of sorts often described as a lisp, they developed acting styles that overcame these. Doing that for a movie is manageable but it is obviously easier to speak naturally in real life. Broadcasters like Winston Churchill developed a mannered style to overcome sibilance - he was fighting the Narzeez, while everyone was fighting the Natsses.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Like who? I mean, there are actors from Spain that can sound like they have a lisp because of how they pronounce a soft C and a Z, but that's not really a lisp but accent. The way they pronounce S isn't lisped. Also, it's possible that some actors have a lisp in real life, a speech impediment that with concentration and a speech coach on-hand they can overcome when acting with the advantage of being able to do multiple takes until they can successfully say it without a lisp, or if they can't, then there's the possibility that it can be corrected in post-production by digitally removing the lisp and inserting a non-lisped S, not so hard because an S is non-vocal, meaning post-production doesn't need to find a voice match.

The only actor I can think of right off hand with a lisp she struggles with is Drew Barrymore, which the nature of her lisp is a thicker lisp, albeit slighter than it used to be. Hers clearly comes from her being tongue-tied or having been tongue-tied, "tongue-tied" referring to being born with a lingual frenulum that congenitally attaches farther forward on the bottom of the tongue than most and so limits how far up and out one can extend one's tongue. When those who are tongue-tied press their tongue to their teeth or the top of the mouth to form the S, the frenulum pulls down on the bottom of the tongue close to tip and so makes the tongue thicker, which restricts airflow, causing the hissed S to gain some degree of the lingual fricativeness that turns an S into a TH. The fix is to surgically clip the frenulum back, to essentially "untie" it, but if a child being tongue-tied is caught and corrected only after the child has learned to speak, often times only after parents wait for the lisp to correct itself and/or after parental attempts to correct the lisp on their own, thus sometimes even being left tongue-tied even into young adulthood, it becomes extremely difficult to overcome the lisp because of formative years of saying the S sound with a tied tongue being engrained and muscle memory taking over. Moreover, people who have successfully overcome lisps very often find that their lisps return when they are extremely tired or when they're intoxicated. That's because they are making a conscious effort that is constantly in the back of their minds to overcome the lisp, but that conscious effort wanes as they become tired or intoxicated, so they unconsciously fall back on what their constant conscious effort overcomes, their lisp. Anyway, Drew Barrymore's lisp, especially when she was young, was something audiences found endearing, so it was widely kept in films. It being so endearing, kind of like Shirley Temple's, also means it was likely encouraged and not discouraged. As she got older, though, no longer being a child, it was less endearing and made it hard for her to be taken seriously as an actor, so at that late point, she was suddenly having to try to overcome it as movie producers worked around it by employing the various methods cited above to varying degrees of success. She does speak now fairly lisp-free, but it clearly takes more than a little conscious effort on her part, the effect of which is her speech sounding labored. She has to focus so much on not lisping that that laborious focus becomes audibly apparent, so it's a trade-off.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's like the stutter doesn't stutter when they sing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.