Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 2 months ago

I'm a guitar player but I want to go more into classical music and orchestra, how do I start?

I've always loved classical music but I feel like I just settled for guitar because it was the most available instrument I could use to express my adoration for music. In fact I've wanted to actually play violin since I was little.

Unfortunately I don't have access to violins or pianos since they are way over my budget and I wouldn't know if I enjoyed playing them, but I can't let that get in the way, I need a place to start at least.

Have a look at classical guitar music - there isn't a huge selection but there is some out there, much of it written (unsurprisingly) by Spanish composers. Albeniz, Villa-Lobos, Rodrigo and so on - but there are also more modern pieces (many mid-century British composers wrote at least one piece for guitar, after a campaign by Julian Bream) and Baroque pieces originally written for lute.

Get to grips with the repertoire that exists for an instrument you're already comfortable with while you save up for a violin. It doesn't have to cost a fortune - a beginner could play a Stradivarius and still sound like they're strangling a cat. You should really try to get yourself a good teacher though - that is where you really will see a return on investment.

• ?

The only way to learn classical is to find a qualified teacher.