Does an actor write his own plays?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

I act as a hobby and have written and performed in plays.

• ?
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

There are two superb actors that have done so. David Dimerian and Brian Demitri. However it's done alot as their talent and experience change.

• 1 month ago

Some actors write and even produce or direct plays.

• 2 months ago

I am an actor, writer and director. So yes we do. Im currently in process of getting one of my plays produced. Just waiting for covid to **** off.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Some actors write and even produce or direct plays.

It's a skill related to the craft of acting.

However, it's not common for an actor to write and then act in any of his own plays.  It's also fairly common for an actor to write plays under a different name, to keep his or her two careers separate.

• Tina
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, especially if it's a one-man show - people often use their own lives - their childhood experiences, struggles to find work and so on to produce an evening's entertainment. Cheap to produced, needing nothing in the way of scenery and special effects it's a good way of making work for yourself.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Generally speaking, writing plays is NOT part of the job. Actors are auditioned and hired to act in plays. Plays are written by playwrights. Sometimes theaters use pre-written or classic plays/stories and sometimes a play is written from scratch or they purchase the rights to one.

Doesn't mean actors don't write plays. Since acting is such an unstable line of work, most actors are unemployed or work at a "regular" day job 99% of the time. To generate more acting opportunities, some actors may write and produce their own plays to star in and then book a theater room. They're almost never get paid for it but rather use their own money to be able to produce the play. And since actors are people, they have hobbies just like everyone else. So some actors may also enjoy writing in their free time even if their writing doesn't get produced. But other than that? Not really.

• 2 months ago

Less than 1% of the time. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.