What is a real life example of tensional stress?

The rope in a game of tug of war is the most clear example of real life tensional stress as I can imagine.  I often put minor tensional stress on the sleeves of my shirts and jackets when I put them on.  I hate it when the seems at the shoulder rip from it.  Ever seen a football game where a defensive player grabs the jersey of the player with the ball when he tries to make a tackle?  That jersey stretches a lot from the tensional stress. When I was a kid, I used to love the tarzan swing that went out over the river and we could let go and fall into the water: more tensional stress in progress.

most bridges suffer from serious tensional stresses that must be countered to prevent the bridge from falling apart.  The downward pull of gravity on the center pulls the sides away from the anchoring points on the banks, or with suspension bridges, the support cables are under tensional stress (pulled by the weight below).  As with any stable system, though, tensional stresses are offset by equivalent opposing forces (compressional stresses).