Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 2 months ago

What do you think an IQ score actually tells about a person, besides it being less than 70 which means you could be mentally retarded?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Cowboy
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

IQ is an indication of how well a motivated individual will do on written tests - it's not intelligence. In fact these tests were first developed to ID students who needed extra help.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It says how well you take in information and use it to solve problems. Among other things.

• 2 months ago

Not a whole lot actually. My IQ is supposed to be around 145 yet it doesn't tell you all that much about me. Yes I was teaching myself calculus from a textbook I bought at a college bookstore. But it doesn't explain why I'm a good writer or singer, or why I care about people the way I do. For my money a person's IQ tells you as much about them as their nationalities, that is where their ancestors came from. In other words it's an interesting factoid, not much more.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It is not a good test because a person can be very smart but has low verbal skills because of cultural norms that do not emphasize written languages. Mongolians for example have low IQ scores but they have very high visual IQ scores, also known as visual-spatial intelligence test, which means solving 3D puzzles with one's brain. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/tests/iq/visual...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In theory it shows your reasoning ability compared to other people your own age. If you are ten and you have the "intelligence" of an average 15-year-old, your IQ is 150. If you have the "intelligence" of an average 5-year-old, your IQ is 50. My own IQ shows that I have the intelligence of someone who has been dead for half a century. Some people who know me would say that's about right. Others would use that datum to point out that the IQ loses validity when you become an adult.

Some schools use IQ as a measure of an applicant's ability to learn. MENSA accepts it as proof that you are worthy of entry to the group. For adults, SAT or GRE scores are more meaningful.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yale records show the bush had a 89 IQ . but that was before all those years of alcohol and cocaine abuse . i bet trump's IQ is even lower . 

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

How much school-education you had

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's supposed to tell you how smart a person is relative to the population, 100 = average. What it really tells you is how well a person did on that IQ test.

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Their innate capacity for abstract reasoning

• 2 months ago

I suppose it shows your capability for learning.   Mine changed from 2nd grade to 4th grade.   I guess that meant that my little brain was growing and developing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.