Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 2 months ago

How possible would it be for me to move from Michigan to Arizona?

I want to live where there aren't super snowy winters and just a change of scenery.  This change doesn't have to happen anytime soon--probably in 2 to 3 years.  I have $60,000 in savings and I'm currently 29 years old, making about $25,000 a year. I'd like to buy a cheap, fixer upper type house.  

How do I find a place to live before moving there?  Is it safe to buy a house online without seeing it in person?  

How long do I have to get my driver's license switched?  

Does my current car insurance and health insurance cover me for a certain amount of time?  

• drip

Is it safe to buy a house site unseen. It can be, especially now. Go with a reputable well known real estate company.  Make sure to get a home inspection done before buying it. Ask the real estate agent for a video of the surrounding area.

You can do a google search for crime rates in the area and what crimes are prevalent. Car and health insurance. Call them up and ask. Driver’s license and car plates. Look on the Arizona DMV web site. Usually it is three months. 

You are taking all the fun out of life with all this talk and questions.  You will regret being like that.  Could even mean you will never do it.  Shut up.  Pack up. Go. Now. Fast. Like your life depended on it.    You will long remember this trip as the most exciting and fun thing your ever did.    Old guy 77.

• MS

I would not move somewhere I've never been.  It's not clear if you've visited or not.  

In any case, do not buy a house sight unseen.  You should absolutely travel out there and look at the houses in person, especially if you are considering a fixer-upper.  You should also have a job lined up before you move.  

You would have to contact your insurance providers about how a move would affect their coverage.  It varies.

You are supposed to get an AZ license immediately upon moving there.  Some states give specific timeframes, but AZ says immediately for whatever that's worth.

• Funnel

Highly. Just ask a drooling realtor because they care so much about you and your well being. 

• ?

Figure out where in Arizona you wish to go. Line up a job.Then load the U-Haul and go.

Arizona is the size of Michigan, Maryland, and Connecticut put together. While the winters there are nothing like Michigan, parts of the state do experience cold weather, and there is indeed snow at elevation. 

Like any state, there's a considerable degree of variety when it comes to the cost of living and real estate prices. Some parts of the state are relatively inexpensive while others are quite pricey. 

The cost of a home would depend entirely upon where in the state you want to buy. 

I wouldn't recommend moving anywhere you've never visited. If you've got 60 grand there's no reason why you couldn't fly down there for a week or two, rent a car, and check things out. 

I don't particularly care for Arizona. It's not a very well run state, most of the more sizable cities and towns aren't great, and there are a lot of racial problems. The quality of life is much better elsewhere. I'd move to New Mexico before I'd live in Arizona, but maybe you have your reasons for wanting to go there. 

If your health insurance is through your employer you'd have to make arrangements if you leave your current job. Your automobile insurance ought to cover you, but you should check with your provider. I believe you can switch your license over by showing proof of address - the standard is 90 days. 

Good luck if you decide to make the move. You'll likely miss those Coney dogs though. 

It is not safe to buy a house based on what you see online.

Especially not a fixer upper, because there could be a lot more wrong with it than shows up online.

Ask your insurers how long they'd cover if you moved.

Getting licence switched? You couldn't have googled that? https://www.moving.com/tips/how-to-do-an-arizon-dm...

I absolutely would NOT buy a house without seeing it, especially a fixer-upper. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea if you were spending a few million and had every expectation of the high price ensuring the house was in perfect condition and that the neighbourhood didn't have anything awful in it. You might find what looks like a good one online, but someone forgot to say that there's a crack house two doors down or that your street is popular for drag racing.

You could make a trip or two to Arizona before you move to find a place to live. You could stay in a motel when you first get there until you find a place to rent or buy. I would make a few vacation visits to get a feel for what places are like, before making solid plans to move there.

• John

Arizona is different from Michigan like night and day. I'm a vagabond so I have landed in several strange cities without problems but most people can't do that. As the other answer said - it never occurred to you to just go for a visit?

• ?

The first thing to know would be that northern Arizona is in the mountains and gets a lot of snow. I don't know how you just move to a place without having ever been there before. So I'd suggest you plan a couple of recon trips to various cities you might be interested in. If you can combine house hunting with job interviews you could be truly prepared for when you finally make the permanent move.