?
? asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 2 months ago

What's your favorite Elton John song?

Don't have favorite song by him.

"Bennie and the Jets" - I sang it for my parents at 2 years of age while dancing on the counter-top !

My Top 5 favorite Elton John songs in no particular order are

Candle In The Wind (original version)

Philadelphia Freedom

Somebody Saved My Life Tonight

Tiny Dancer

Harmony

"Where To Now, St. Peter ?",  from his "Tumbleweed Connection" album. The song is about a dying Civil War Union soldier's last seconds of life after taking a hit to his chest from a Confederate bullet, known as a "blue canoe"; it's philosophically deep. I love the 6 and 12 string acoustic guitar work highlighted in the song; worked well with the EJ's piano artistry.

"All The Young Girls Love Alice" from EJ's masterpiece album, "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road".

"Grow Some Funk Of Your Own" a real fun song ( based on a TRUE story ), from the "Rock Of The Westies" album. 

Many of EJ's iconic classic rock song hits were written by Bernie Taupin, a dear friend of Elton's.

And finally....."Pinball Wizard" from the 1975 version of The Who's classic rock opera, "Tommy". Frankly, EJ's version of this classic is WAY WAY BETTER than The Who's version. 

I can't think of any

It would have to be Rocket Man.

Tough question.

The three I like are hard to put in order: I'm Still Standing, Daniel, and I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues...

I find a lot of his songs to be overrated, but not those.

I actually listened to "Daniel" when I went on a travel binge after a girl at work that I liked shocked me by going for the son of one of the managers... who was unemployed at the time and living with his mom (that manager). 

I had to just get away and definitely had a bit of deadness in my eyes I'm sure. 

I like a lot of his stuff, including "Tiny Dancer" "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting", "Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" and "Rocket Man"

A Song for Guy, very poignant. 

"Someone Saved My Life Tonight" (from 'Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy')--A huge hit, but never gets old. Perfect description of escaping a relationship that could have been disastrous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw2Lptf7K0E

Youtube thumbnail