Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 2 months ago

Can I drink alcohol when taking Beta Blockers?

I’m on Metoprolol for high blood pressure and anxiety.

I’m 21 and in college. 

I just started the medication four days ago and I am finally out of stage 1 hypertension!!!!

A lot of people drink in college, and I am someone who drinks once a week. Can I still get drunk despite taking Beta Blockers? Or can I never get drunk again?

I don’t want to put my body in danger, but I don’t want to miss out on some things. 

Has anyone had experience with getting drunk or tipsy while taking beta blockers ?

Favorite Answer

If you mix Propranolol and alcohol — resulting in your blood pressure dropping too much — you may experience the following symptoms:

Dizziness

Lightheadedness

Fainting, especially if you get up too fast

Fast heart rate

Nausea or being sick

Headache

Inability to concentrate

https://www.theindependentpharmacy.co.uk/anxiety/g...

The combination can also lower your heart rate to a dangerous level. I only take 10mg propranolol 3 times a day now and I can handle maybe 4 gin and tonics in an evening but I drink slowly and I've been on my medication for a long time.

That is a question to ask your doctor.  we do not have enough of your medical history to be able answer this.  Also, we are not doctors and not able to examine you.  Any answer you get on here is a total guess.

Have you not considered reading the leaflet that came with the medication? Or is that beyond your wit?

Lol dude I'm 17, I wish I could drink tho, I hate that the age limit is 21 :/