Ross asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

What is the Difference Between Soy Sauce and Soya Sauce?

I know they taste different and I know Soy sauce is the one you use on sushi, and soya sauce goes good mixed in rice, but what's the difference? I know a lot of recipes that require soy sauce, so what would happen if I used soya? 

Wow I've never felt this dumb lol. In my defense though, in my experience, the bottles of Soy/Soya sauce I buy to say marinate chicken and such have a much saltier taste than the smaller spouted bottles you usually see at sushi restaurants (on which for some reason it's usually spelled "soy"). So at the end of the day I was aware they were extremely similar but had to determine whichever fundamental difference made them separate in my mind. But kk same thing. Got it.

Favorite Answer

The only difference between the two is the letter 'A'. Thats it, nothing else. If you are finding a difference in taste it is because you are tasting different brands.'Soy' is just the Americanized spelling of 'Soya'.

• kswck2

Soya and Soy is the same thing, spelled differently in different parts of the world, like Defense in America and Defence in Britain. 

• Alpha

You are really mixed up. There is NO difference between soy and soya.  "Soy" is used In American English. In Europe (including British English) , they use the word "soya".

Furthermore, there is not just one type of soy/soya sauce. There are in fact over 3 dozen variety of them.

🥴 Manufacturer and pronunciation. 

Otherwise theyre one and the same.