Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 months ago

What would you do if your kid got suspended for ditching school because the school failed to properly record their medical absence?

Would not punish my kid because it was the SCHOOL'S fault for not doing their job right and would also put my kid in a different school after.

Are you certain this was the school's error and not your child's? Just asking because the high school marked my oldest's three-day absence as unexcused (this was last year, pre-COVID) and it turns out he *threw out* the medical excuse note from his doctor. If it was a situation like that, I'd let my kid fester in detention/suspension so he'd be more careful next time about turning in the excuse note as well as making up any missed work on time. 

If the error was on the school's part, sure, I would protest the suspension. Especially now with districts moving from virtual to in-person learning, it hardly seems impossible a mistake could have been made.

What do you mean what would I do?  I'd do the obvious...get the record straight.  That you've not done that sounds to me like there's more to the story than you've shared with us.

Well for one, being suspended over missing a day of school is stupid. I'd most likely contact the school with a signed doctor's note from the day they missed and try to get the suspension reversed.