Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsGames & GearPlayStation · 2 months ago

Do you need the internet to install game data onto PS3? ?

A large handful of PS3 games suggests or even requires you to install game data into your HDD. 

While I understand part of the reason for you to download them is likely due to loading the game faster , but I’m curios, do you need Internet access for that? Or can you do that without it?

By the way, I’m not talking about PlayStation store contents or online servers or anything like that that clearly needs internet for it to work.

I’m strictly talking about the game data that usually prompts you to download when you start a game disc. 

obviously i need it.

It’s often necessary just to get the game running as when the installation/play disc was created the PS3 will have typically been running an earlier version of the OS.

I’ve often had brand new games on various Playstations and XBoxes which went into an immediate mega-download: that’s because many games now far exceed what a BluRay disc can hold.

So yes. With a few rare exceptions a web connection is pretty well essential but after the initial installation very little additional data is needed unless there are major patches released.