?
? asked in PetsRodents · 2 months ago

What is a good rodent for a pet?

Favorite Answer

Depends on what you are looking for in a pet. My favorite rodent is probably rats. Guinea pigs are up there too. 

Late but Rats mine are hilarious, they are really smelly tho definitely keep them in there own cornor at least till there litter box trained.

I'd say a guinea pig, they live for longer than rats, or mice, and their cages aren't as expensive. I have a guinea pig and he's 4 years old, he's just now acting strange like he's sick. Rats medical bills can get expensive and they can get sick easily. Rats may be less expensive to BUY at a pet store but when they get sick your done for. (Unless you have a lot of money.)

Well, rats come in number one. If you have a pond, capybara's are fine pets.

Dont mind quills, a porcupine will keep you entertained.

Rays are highly trainable and learn fast.  Guineapigs are great for younger children to handle and pet because of their size.  Less squishy and don’t wiggle or run as fast, very friendly if they are hand reared.  Mice are fun and can ride around in your shirt pocket.

Gerbils have a tendency to jump a lot especially when startled and grabbing them by the tail they can still run away by shedding their tail. Usually does not grow back.  Hamsters are about the most unusual to watch, they hoard food in their cheeks and are nuts about buroughing and tunneling everywhere. They are quite nocturnal and are the most active at night, if they have an exercise wheel it will squeak most of the night.

All the little rodents are fun, it all depends on what your looking for, a playmate - someone to hang out with and do chores etc or someone to pet and cuddle with etc.  they are all just about the same for upkeep the G. pigs need a little more space than the others and they do a thing called pop Corning in which they can jump straight up in the air about twenty inches give or take.  I have known some to jump out of their cage if it’s uncovered.

When the G.Pigs are born they are the cutest, their eyes are open and they have all their hair... just small copies of their parents and so friendly.  You have to leave them alone the first day or two to let them bond with their momma.  The others are blind, bald pink and helpless.

A hamster I would say plus they are so cute.

• Kenny

I read that they have mice that glow in the dark .  That sounds interesting .

• Barry

A Capybara. No burglars will visit.