Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 2 months ago

Can they not do a pelvic exam on me?

I was referred to a urogynecologist but the lady on the phone told me they'd have to do a pelvic exam. I haven't been dreading the appointment itself, I've been dreading the pelvic exam. I know it shouldn't hurt but for some reason everything hurts down there...

Even when my doctor did a simple cotton swab down there. I've never been sexually active so when they tried doing a gonorrhea and chlamydiae test on me I had to BEG the doctor to stop because of how painful it was. Besides the pain I have really bad periods to the point where the pain goes to my legs and the flow is like water... I can't get out of bed when I'm on the first two days of my period. I've been so nervous for this appointment and honestly I hate going to the doctor's because they're just so cold. I'm 18 but mentally I'm not. I still feel like a kid sometimes. The lady on the phone said that they HAVE to do a pelvic exam. It's going to hurt like Crazy! Seriously. Just putting a cotton swab around there hurt very bad. How am I going to get a pelvic exam? Is there an alternative to do this? Can they not do this? My doctor herself said that doing a cotton swab down there should not be hurting as much as it was hurting me. I've been crying and sweating like crazy every time I think about going to the doctor's and my appointment is tomorrow. Can I beg them not to do this to me? 

Doc just needs to watch what is wrong there, so he needs to do a pelvic exam. But don't afraid gynecologist know how to do it lightly, just ask him about it.

• ?

It sounds like you NEED a pelvic exam to try to find out why everything hurts in that area so much.

This is exactly WHY you need to see a doctor. What you describe is abnormal. Not just the pain--the anxiety and the dread are also not that normal--there is sometimes MILD anxiety in normal women who are slated for a pelvic, but nothing like the abject fear you are feeling. And the pain is probably what is causing this. 

TELL them about this. BEFORE the exam. ASK if you can be sedated first. They may even have to hospitalize you and do the exam under general anesthesia. Don't let them downplay your fear or your pain. 

You may have a rare condition that has caused nerves to be trapped causing your vulvodynia. You may have a SEVERE infection. You really absolutely NEED to see your doctor, and if they are insensitive to your needs, get one who IS aware that this is a real condition, not just stress or anxiety. Stand up for yourself. But don't NOT go. 

• ?

There are women who have a condition that causes extreme pain to the genitalia and urinary tract.  You can ask for a sedative prior to being examined.  If you have as much discomfort as you describe, there is definitely something out of the ordinary, and you need to have it taken care of.  It won't get any better if you won't allow the doctor to help you.

• ?

You have the right to refuse, which i stupid, since they can't find the root of your issues if you DO refuse.

• ?

yes they can but then they cant treat you or give you advice .after all examining you is part of it . isnt it .

If it hurts that badly, obviously something is wrong.

You can skip the pelvic exam and go on in pain for the rest of what could turn out to be a short painful life, or you can explain your fear to the doctor, ask for a tranquilliser, and let them do the exam and find out what's wrong so they can STOP THE PAIN.

Only your family doctor can possibly know for sure zxjqkb

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• Murzy

Let the DR know and he will be very gentle.

• Tavy

If you have a problem  down there then they must examin you. You should ask for diazepam to calm you down.

Look it's only a bit of discomfort not as bad as period pain, and you do need to get it cured.